How much track can I run with a dcc select controller

dougal_robb

Hi, Dougal, welcome to the forum. There is unlikely to be a problem with power supply to your new track, irrespective of size of track, using the select controller. I have 5 ovals, and 15 points, and change over from elink to select, when children drive my trains, without any problem. Yes, you will have to put in point clips, but unless you intend running sound locos, which have more functions than your select can identify, you will be absolutely fine. john

I wasn't aware that the track ran anywhere! :-) You can run four loco's simultaneously with the power available from a Select, but trying to avoid collisions is another matter!

For a 'normal' domestic track, you don't need any more power, although the Elite controller is a better buy, as you have two independant speed controllers in one box, and it allows you access to more functions, if you have any sound loco's.

If you plan on a really big fixed layout, (more than 20 feet/7Mtrs long) then you might like to think about installing a BUS power feed to the underside of your track boards. It is only a fancy name for a pair of heavy wires, with lighter links to each piece of track, to reduce power losses caused by all the rail joints.

Some people swear by the system, others swear AT it!

Archived