directional lights

tezzer

Can any body exlplain why i can not get the directional lights (forward or reversed) to work on my bachmann locos when i set up & change the locos address useing my hornby railmaster & elink system its very annoying what am i doing wrong. or is there a video on youtube that will show how to do it ? If i change the locos id back to 0003 they work fine.

HI GRASKIE

no not multiple units they are bachmann class 55 deltic / class 66 ews/ class 70 freightliner/ i also have a london midland emu which is fine because it is still id number 0003 but if i put it on the programming track im sure the lights will not work on that as well .Have been told to reset them to factory settings. but not sure how to with this system yet.

HI GRASKIE

no not multiple units they are bachmann class 55 deltic / class 66 ews/ class 70 freightliner/ i also have a london midland emu which is fine because it is still id number 0003 but if i put it on the programming track im sure the lights will not work on that as well .Have been told to reset them to factory settings. but not sure how to with this system yet.

Hi tezzer,

Lights or any functions will not work if your loco is on your programming track as it does not provide the normal dcc signal that is sent to the operating track.

To reset a decoder you normally set CV8 (manufacturer's id) to 8. This is not always true as it does depend sometimes on the manufacturer of the decoder. I have a bachmann class 37 and I had to do this to get the lights working again,

HI GRASKIE

Hi tezzer,

Lights or any functions will not work if your loco is on your programming track as it does not provide the normal dcc signal that is sent to the operating track.

To reset a decoder you normally set CV8 (manufacturer's id) to 8. This is not always true as it does depend sometimes on the manufacturer of the decoder. I have a bachmann class 37 and I had to do this to get the lights working again,

Interesting comment idlemarvel.

Yes, I always think it a pity that loco functions can't actually be tested on the programming track. I often have to program a sound loco, put it on the main layout, and if, say, the sound is too loud, back onto the programming track it has to go. I know you can adjust CVs on the main layout but I always fear that doing that could interfere with other locos standing on it.

Yes, I always think it a pity that loco functions can't actually be tested on the programming track. I often have to program a sound loco, put it on the main layout, and if, say, the sound is too loud, back onto the programming track it has to go. I know you can adjust CVs on the main layout but I always fear that doing that could interfere with other locos standing on it.

Hornby recommend adjusting sound levels on the main.

if directional lights don't work check 1) that the decoder is plugged in correctly pin1 to socket 1

2) that if you have an elite set menu item function speed & direction - doh can't remember the other setting value - see the elite manual flow chart.

I use the circuit and switch suggested by brian lambert; you have a section of track surrounded by isolating sections then a 4 pole switch can switch a section of track between programming and main, so you can set CVs in safety and then test them almost immediately with the flick of a switch, with a little light to show if you are programming mode or not. Works very well. See here:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Programming

Thanks, lazywonder. I have always thought that could be done but, for the time being, I don't really want to go to that effort, although these modern wheels can be just a bit tricky to put on a new track properly, especially the bogey wheels. Or is it because my eyesight and everything else is failing nowadays?

Archived