Loco Decoder Compatibility

AlanBuzz

Hi guys.

Has anyone else experienced problems with Bacchman 21pin loco decoders on a Railmaster / Elink system.  The loco runs on the default 03 (albeit some tuning of the speed is required), but when I try to change the address it isn't playing ball.  I've tried reading the CV's but get a warning box that says the decoder isn't recognised in the database and to contact Hornby (I've done that earlier today, and await their response).  The software carries on reading but all values are at 255 which is obviously incorrect.  There is obviously some sort of communication problem.

I've also tried to programme with a Select, with no success.  That was a fun experience, flashing loco lights, and the loco shooting off down the track at full speed whilst still in programming mode  !!

Looking at the manual my guess is the chip is of American origin, which may mean it is not NMRA compliant.  Anyone, any better knowledge?

Given the Dapol loco and the chip were bought together, I'm probably heading back to the shop to get the decoder changed for another brand.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.  I am glad to report that I've managed to programme the decoder.  A simple issue of the programming track not being clean enough!.  For whatever reason this setup  is rather more sensitive to less than perfect electrical contact.  Having said that it is working perfectly in operation on the layout.

Hi alan, i have 2 same make locos, also reading 255, had not thought about the track. Hornby want chip details to enter them in RM decoder list. If you have further probs, you can reset cv 125 to 1, but you appear to have managed. john

Hi John,  I couldn't right to the chip at all - because of the message I thought it was a compatibility issue.  A moment of stubborn perserverance, made me clean the track and try again.  I had successfully used it on another item, so I wasn't expecting a miracle!.  The other thing I was going to try and didn't have to was increase the dwell time from the standard 8 secs when reading.  This particular setup whether it be the decoder or the loco is a bit on the sensitive side.  It works fine in operation as I reported.  Once I got it going it took me few minutes to work out that F1 just does the running lights, and F2 and F3 do the cab lights each end independently.

Archived