Slowing Locos on DCC

trevor_rawson

I think this operation can be achieved with some decoders that have assymetric braking or brake on DC - I'm not an expert, so it's more a question of which decoders can do this, rather than which DCC system.  I think the Hornby Sapphire can but not the basic decoder.

i use resistors to slow my trains down coming into my stations on my analogue system. what dcc system would i buy to achieve the same outcome thank you.

On DCC, the deceleration for each loco, can be adjusted by a simple software change to the loco Decoder.  There is no need to buy anything special.  Likewise, the acceleration rate can be adjusted as well if you wish to represent a more realistic situation.

i use resistors to slow my trains down coming into my stations on my analogue system. what dcc system would i buy to achieve the same outcome thank you.

On DCC, the deceleration for each loco, can be adjusted by a simple software change to the loco Decoder.  There is no need to buy anything special.  Likewise, the acceleration rate can be adjusted as well if you wish to represent a more realistic situation.

• 1 month later...

Well Trevor, learn something new each day.  The new thing is asymmetric DCC or ADCC, which I have just now looked up.

So let me give you the simple answer - ADCC will allow you to achieve what you do with your resistors by putting a simple arrangement of diodes into the track where you currently have your resistors, turn it on or off as you wish, then turn the feature on or off in individual decoders in each loco.  So you can have some locos respond to it and not others by the way you set up their decoders.

Then the question is what DCC systems can do this?  The basic Hornby system of a Select controller and an R8249 decoder certainly won't as neither have the capability.  However, the more advanced Sapphire decoder in combination with either the Elite controller or Railmaster (RM)/eLink certainly will. 

So there is your answer.  And not surprisingly, you can do it better with a DCC system than you can with your analog as you can switch it on or off in individual locos.

It is also worth mentioning that various loco detection (LD) systems will allow you to achieve the same result even more flexibly than ADCC, or possibly even in combination with ADCC.  These will allow you to do it conditionally on such things as which loco, whether or not signals are set, and whether or not a number of other conditions are met.  Various LD systems already exist, and Hornby are about to release a very good one too.  At least we hope they are about to release it, a number of people have been holding their breath for some time now.

PS.  Trevor, if you want to reply to an individual post, make sure you click first in the White area immediately below the yellow box so that your content shows separately to the box.  Or just use the big white box at the bottom as I have and you won't have yellow boxes to worry about.

Here is how to make a simple 5-diode generator for ADCC. I have shown various sizes to cater for nimble or not so nimble fingers. To see how to install it look at the Lenz ADCC page refered to above, essentially a break in the RH rail either side of the station in the direction of running. You will need a decoder that supports aDCC such as the Sapphire or Lenz Silver/Gold.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/1294780820/gallery_7193_1326_17286.gif

The module shown is the operational equivalent of the Lenz BM1.

Archived