Wireless headset...

96RAF

RAF, if you look in the old and rather long Voice Control thread, you will see that wireless is only recommended so that you can move around freely, it's not essential. Others have used wired headsets successfully. 

And I think the only specification that has been given anywhere is "good quality".  All that's needed is a mike that doesn't distort or overload badly so that the software can distinguish each of your commands from others. Doesn't need to be professional quality, just reasonable. 

John I was doing model train voice control on a wired mic long before RM started it, in addition to my normal rabbitting to inanimate objects like most people do as well as talking to animals.

The reason for my op is that wireless headsets can be Wireless or Bluetooth and I wasn't about to spend on the wrong type, if at all.

Rob

And he may well be!  If so, let's hope he stays on the horizon for some time yet.

bluetooth should be fine unless you have a giant layout or your laptop is a long way from your layout. It is reliable to at least 10m (Assuming the most common Class 2 spec for the technical types).

No "Couple of days off for us"!  We monitor the forum regularly, and it's 7:15 on a Sunday now.  This didn't need our input because we only specify that you use a high quality headset, wireless or wired.  We also indicated earlier in the forum that you can expect to pay over £30 for a good wireless headset so you should be able to make a judgment on which headset to buy.  Only very poor, cheap headsets will cause problems and you will soon find out, in which case you can return it and get a refund from your supplier.

The wireless transmission system doesn't matter, as long as it is good quality.  Once trained, RailMaster is quite tolerant, however for a reliable experience buy a good headset.  As mentioned before, we used generic, non-branded 2.4Ghz wireless headsets for all development and testing.  We also used generic, non-branded Bluetooth headsets, which were fine in close proximity.  We found that 2.4GHz had a longer range, but depends on the size of your layout and the position of your computer.

Thanks for your input HRMS

To take your statement a little further if I may, Hornby RailMaster Support/Hornby Admin staff, do not take a couple of days off, not even Christmas Day and Boxing Day! There is always someone checking periodically, they are dedicated to the company and for RailMaster being the best model rail software on the market.

Well done and Happy Christmas to you all.

OK HRMS, but you certainly deserve a couple of days off for the outstanding support you provide.

i will go for a 2.4GHz wireless headset rather than a BT one to allow for more reliable range.

You never know I may take RM into the garden.

Thanks Rob

Archived