melting points

Yelrow

RAF,point motors all surface mounted, at 71, my days of crawling upside down, are limited to necessity. Selonoids easy access, wiring, crawling upside down, into choc blocks. john

John,

Nice to see you posting again albeit unfortunate that your point problem is still giving trouble. I've mentioned in another thread that I have a camp bed under my layout [i have to move the cupboards out first but they''re on castors] which is the ideal height for me lying on my back to fiddle with my wiring/point motors. Unfortunately it's a bit too comfortable at times, I have a 60W tube heater that keeps the room temperature very pleasant, and easy to drift off! Have you considered such a heater? They are available in bigger wattages but provide a very effective cheap background heat.

This was something I knocked up out of a few bits of timber, hinges and foam offcuts to work under the layout. As you can see it folds flat for storage.

/media/tinymce_upload/100_0643.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/100_0644.JPG

Did anyone notice the washing up bottle and the sticky backed plastic in the construction.

I was joking.......me have guests........unheard of.......unless it's the imaginary ones I have in my head.

Or perhaps I'll invite my new friend AC over.....

I did fall asleep on it under the layout once mind, not all night.......I was so knackered I just dropped off for a nap as it was so comfortable.

And just to put this topic back on thread. I vote for the turntable rotating track bed as being the culprit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good evening, guys. Have now finished sorting out point clips with soldered ones, etc, and am ready to re- connect point motors. However,  no longer currently using Elink, so would have to connect to Elite. Can i assume that as all decoders were programmed, and points numbered before, connection will be automatic, or do i have to do it all again. Also, as now slightly nervious, i presume, there is no risk to Elite. I did ask HRMS, if i could use Elink for controller B, which they were ok with, but when trying, no com port would come up on Controller B. Any views. john

Hi yelrow

I had the same problem over 2 years ago and if you go back to 20 Oct 2012 under heading of DCC Electrical Problems you may get an answer from the help I received.  Although I changed the points which were over heating I am not sure if faulty points were the problem as I have reused them recently with no such problems.   Hope this helps.

Spidey323

Good evening, guys. Have now finished sorting out point clips with soldered ones, etc, and am ready to re- connect point motors. However,  no longer currently using Elink, so would have to connect to Elite. Can i assume that as all decoders were programmed, and points numbered before, connection will be automatic, or do i have to do it all again. Also, as now slightly nervious, i presume, there is no risk to Elite. I did ask HRMS, if i could use Elink for controller B, which they were ok with, but when trying, no com port would come up on Controller B. Any views. john

John, some new info and some old info repeated:

All decoder programming/point numbering remains.  It is held by RM and the decoders, not eLink or Elite.

There is no risk to the Elite.

As I've told you previously, RM doesn't tell you any com port numbers, you have to tell it.  I know you have a French problem here but there is no way to get around having to find Device Manager and the com port number it has set for your eLink (note you will also see the com port number for your Elite and it should not have changed).  Having found it this way, you now go into RM Setup and enter that number for Controller B.  Sorry, no shortcuts or magic bullets on this, the only way the number is known is from Device Manager.  Then remember that the number should be under 5 and if a higher number is set, you have to reset to a free lower number, again using Device Manager.

Brilliant Rob!

The other thing that occurred to me john is you could just try guessing.  Start by putting com 1 in Controller B setup then restart RM and see if it finds it.  If not try 2 and start again. Then 3, skip 4 as we know that is Controller and then keep right on going until it finds it and connects on start up.

John,

I know you have said that your French version of Windows 7 is different, but I find it hard to believe that it does not contain Microsoft's Device Manager as part of the build. For what follows, I have assummed that even on the French version of Windows the operating system file names are still kept in English. If these instructions don't work for you then fine, but at least it was worth a try. Below are step by step tutorials for two different ways of starting Device Manager. There are more than two ways, but I felt these two were the easiest to describe.

Option 1

/media/tinymce_upload/d6b18e8f1c9cb884bc77dbeda3d28f4e.JPG

If your Start Menu does not have the 'RUN' command listed, then go to Option 2 further below.

Having clicked the 'RUN' button as shown in image above, the following (see below) dialogue box should open. Type devmgmt.msc in the box. Be very careful to type the text exactly as shown (ignore making the font bold), including the full-stop between the t and the m. Then click the OK button. If luck is with you Windows Device Manager should open.

/media/tinymce_upload/d331a83acd0c902c38e724e3cfab0426.JPG

Option 2

In this option type devmgmt.msc in the start menu search box (see image below). As you start typing, the page display will start changing as Windows starts searching. Don't be distracted by this, just keep typing until all of devmgmt.msc has been typed, again ignore that I have shown it written in bold and ensure you include the full-stop.

/media/tinymce_upload/1aad739116413f5bb1d58f8437b6b33f.JPG

If successful you should see something like the following image. If you do, then click the devmgmt.msc entry listed at the top of the search box. Windows Device Manager should then open.

/media/tinymce_upload/749235ebbc741adedc776656a352025a.JPG

If in Option 1 you don't see the 'RUN' command listed, but you would like it to be listed then follow these steps (subject of course to these steps being supported in your French Windows version).

Place the mouse cursor somewhere in a blank area of the start menu and 'right click' it. A selection box titled "Properties" should appear. Click 'Properties' and a multi-tab options box should appear. Click the 'Start Menu' tab. Then click the 'Customize' button. A list with 'check boxes' should appear. Scroll down the list and look for an entry titled 'Run Command' with a check box beside it. Put a tick in the check box and then click the 'OK' button. Then close the 'Properties Box' (click the top right hand side red x). The 'RUN' entry should now appear in the 'start menu' as per my very first image above.

John,

I have posted an image based tutorial for opening Windows Device Manager, should appear when moderated directly above this post. Hopefully this tutorial will work with French Windows.

Archived