Hornby Gadwall decoder not being recognised (therefore no sound)

Hello all,

I need some assistance as I have been given as a gift the Gadwall TTS loco. I have gone into railmaster to change the loco ID which has worked no problem, but when the software reads all the CV's after CV8 it says that the decoder is not recognised by RM and I should send details of this to Customer Support. However the loco is a Hornby loco with a Hornby Hobbies decoder in it (straight out of the box).

The loco runs ok, but no sound works on it, and I can only assume this is the reason the sound doesn't work. I am running RM 1.59 so believe that to be the latest version.

Can anyone offer any tips as to if I'm doing anything wrong, or a way around this to enable sound to be enabled?

Any support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Is this not the same issue as the thread on DCC. If so, we really need to stick on one. As i said on there, sound should work without the need to change cv. Put loco back on Prog track, and read cv again. john

Hi John, yes I tried your solution, but discovered this issue and thought it was a RM issue rather than a DCC issue. I have tried reading the cvs a few times and each time I get the same error of unknown decoder which I don't understand as it's a Hornby loco.

The cv numbers which relate to the sounds 160+ are coming up as unreadable.

I was wondering if anyone else had this same issue.

many thanks, Rob

Ignore the request to inform Hornby, they are well aware not all TTS decoders are listed in RM and all it means is you either have to populate the sound function definitions yourself or pick another TTS loco such as DofG which is listed and nick the function settings from that for your loco, amending those that may be different. In any case F1 should work to turn the background sound on/off.

Ignore the request to inform Hornby, they are well aware not all TTS decoders are listed in RM and all it means is you either have to populate the sound function definitions yourself or pick another TTS loco such as DofG which is listed and nick the function settings from that for your loco, amending those that may be different. In any case F1 should work to turn the background sound on/off.

Hi RAF96, thank you for that suggestion. I will try that suggestion. As it stands F1 doesn't have any effect on the sound as nothing happens. I have previously tried to populate the functions myself aligned to the instruction guide which came with the loco, but still nothing happened. I wanted to look at the cv detail to try and increase the volume in case it's muted.

many thanks, Rob

If you can reset the decoder it will put everything back to factory datum values.

RM has an easy way of doing this from within the loco setting screen. I can't remeber the icon but it's at the top of the loco screen and will say reset when you hover your mouse over it, else write value 5 to cv8 to reset only the sounds part of the decoder.

I'm suspecting a faulty decoder, so return loco to the shop under warranty.  Not unheard of at the moment with the first batches of TTS fitted locos.

Hi Fishmanoz, I have tried resetting as others suggested but still have complete silence. I think you're correct on a faulty decoder. Thanks.

Archived