Coach lighting with DCC

CarterUK

I have a Northern class 156 which I've fitted with a Hornby 4 function decoder and added directional lighting. I want to add coach lighting and though I could use one of the remaining function slots (green or purple wire) but I seem to read that I'd need to use the existing yellow/white wires which are already used for the directional lighting. Can't I just hook it up to the spare functions? It's just a 12v LED strip.

Ok so after I got my polarities round the right way I had the coach lights working. They (5 in strip) were amazingly bright. Too much so. Drawing 110mA according to the multimeter. So I've inserted a resistor (think it's around 450/500 ohms) and dropped to 10mA but far less brightness. After putting the coach back together they still work but even so, still too bright in the coach. You can make out the mouldings.

I've some more testing with another strip and different value resistors to get the brightness down even further. I have a ~950 ohm resistor which seems to be about right for the coach lighting so I'll swap that for the other resistor tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help/feedback.

Archived