Peppercorn runs in Reverse

Boydwill

Majestic Loco Direction

I have just completed the set-up of a Majestic Train set.  All is well, except, the "Peppercorn" steam engine runs in reverse, when the elink controller says forward, and vice-versa. 

I don't know if the Class 47 Co-Co Diesel also has this problem, because I don't know which end is the front!

Before I start reporgramming CVs, can someone please tell me how to identify the front-end of the Class 47?

Thanks,

Boydwill

Usually the end with the big fan in the roof is the no 1 end.

Don't forget - with DCC, the steam loco will run funnel first, no matter which way round on the track it is, for forward. So - assuming it is running funnel first, and you stop it. If you then take it off the track, and rotate it 180 so it is facing the other way, and without altering the direction on the controller, it will still run funnel first!

With dc (analogue) if you did that, the loo would still run in the same direction as before, ie tender first!

Hi Boyd... 

Generally the 'a' end or 'front' of a diesel is the end nearest the fans on the roof.

simple way of changing the direction is to turn the loco round., for a newbie the elink is a bit complicated to change the configuration of the chip to alter the direction ! 

Enjoy

Boyd, 2e0's advice and Tony's contradict.  2e0 is correct.

There are only 2 ways to change loco direction with RM (eLink doesn't do anything but pass on RM instructions):  the first is in RM setup where you can reverse the direction of all locos.  To reverse an individual loco, it can only be done by setting bit 0 of CV29 and yes, you'll need to learn about reading and writing CVs to do that.

And what's this people titling threads with their name suddenly?  Much better the title says what your problem is, we can see who you are by who did the post.  Good descriptive titles to threads are the best way to get people to read your post and reply.

Railmaster Pro add on pack allows a one button normal direction of travel changing to occur.

For the basic Railmaster setup you need to reference the Railmaster user manual page 71 and by selecting and using the pop up menu you then add a tick in the 'Reverse Direction' box that's appeared on the screen for that particular loco in the CV29 Properties.   Note this should be carried out on the Programming track.

Manual is available here if not to hand...railmaster_instructions_manual_v1.56_english__2.pdf

Thank you everyone for your help.

The Class 47 was running correctly - i.e. big fan end forwards when control set to forwards.

Peppercorn was running in reverse - i.e. tender end forwards when control set to forwards.

A tweak to CV 29 did the trick - thanks flashbang for pointing out the easy way to avoid binary arithmetic!

Regards,

Boydwill

Pleasure Boydwill. Pleased to read you have resolved the normal direction of travel problem.

Setting CV29 to 7 for non Railmaster users, as suggest by double-oh is correct, but only if CV29 is at 6 before altering it. If your decoder is set for four digit address numbering (128 to 9999) then you will be in the high thirties, typical 38 to become 39. But this all can be different if dc running has been turned off. 

This CV29 caculator link is great for those who would like to know what is doing what within   CV29.   http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Archived