Hornby Pullman table light carriages

Photega

Looking for advice in 2 parts. I have just acquired a raft of 5 Hornby Pullman carriages with table lights.
My first question is about the voltage, forgive me if I have this wrong but DC works on 12v but DCC is 16v? Does this cause an issue?
Secondly if it is ok, how do I go about setting up so that they are not on all the time because in DCC the track is always live?
Thanks 

Hi Photega, they work fine on DCC and yes they are on all of the time.  For DC, they are only on when you run the train but all the time you run it, not switchable.

You would have to do a mod to make them switchable on DCC.  This might mean fitting a decoder and using one of the functions to power them and you might need a decoder per carriage, all on the same address as the loco I'd suggest.  At least that would be one way.  I don't think a function would have sufficient power for a rake of 5, even if you installed the inter-carriage wiring that would be needed.

Personally, I'm happy with them being on all the time.

Although, they are draining current on a DCC layout if they're on even in bright daylight, aren't they, Fishy? I would love a switch system with mine, even if it meant a simple on-off physical one for each of them, preferably hidden underneath and manually operated.

There is also that company who advertise in the mags - they make a striplight run from a battery, with a motion sensor in it, so when the carriages haven't moved for a minute or so, the lights go off.

The fault with that, though, is that every now and then you have to take the 'lids' off to fit new batteries!

wouldn't the simpler way be to have them on an isolated siding when not in use, the siding could be independantly switched so a loco can use it to pick up or drop them then once the loco has left the power can be switched off,.

Hi Photega, they work fine on DCC and yes they are on all of the time.  For DC, they are only on when you run the train but all the time you run it, not switchable.

You would have to do a mod to make them switchable on DCC.  This might mean fitting a decoder and using one of the functions to power them and you might need a decoder per carriage, all on the same address as the loco I'd suggest.  At least that would be one way.  I don't think a function would have sufficient power for a rake of 5, even if you installed the inter-carriage wiring that would be needed.

Personally, I'm happy with them being on all the time.

I have these Hornby Pullmans on DCC too.

I agree 110% with the comment made by Fishmanoz. I too do not have an issue with the lights being on all the time. They say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I think the coaches look far better being lit up.

The suggestion that the current draw per carriage might be around 50 mA is IMHO a bit on the high side. I haven't taken the Pullman apart to confirm it, but I believe the table lamps use perspex light guides from a single LED light source. Thus, the current draw per carriage is more likely to be around 10 mA.

Given the complexities of trying to provide inter-carriage wiring connectivity, a DCC decoder per carriage is IMHO the only viable solution if one is insistent on providing a remotely switchable on/off control.

Just been having a think about this and what I want on my layout and taking on board all your comments. I agree they look better with the lights on, what I am thinking though is about when this train is not in use on the actual layout and think the answer maybe to have a specific line in the fiddle yard for this rake which once the train is in there I could isolate this so that the lights are not on unnecessarily. Again your thoughts as to whether you think this is viable would be appreciated.

There's no problem with that, Phogena. All you would need to do is provide a break in the track, using an insulating joiner on one rail, with a switch 'across' the gap so you could turn it on before you send a loco in to couple up.

If you forget, the loco will just stop. No harm will be done.

Archived