Automatic uncoupling controlled by a Decoder Function

RDS

In order to get the best from my layout, I need to be able to couple and un-couple wagons and coaches automatically and I don't want to be limited by having to do this on the same stretches of track each time.

I would like to be able to use a function on the Loco decoder to achieve this.

Are there any mechanisms available that will achieve this, at a reasonable cost.  I am only interested in adding the feature to selected Loco's and I am happy for the wagons and coaches to remain in the same configuration (i.e. not split).

In fact maybe this is something that Hornby would like to consider for future DCC models.  Personally, I would rather have this feature than sound.

There is a system I've seen advertized, it involves fitting a solenoid (and a chip, if there isn't one) to the item, and on command, the solenoid pulls a little crank, which lifts a tension-lock hook - to release the coupling.

It means a bit of surgery on the item the solenoid is fitted to - to provide a slot for the little crank to move in.

This only works if the opposing tension-lock hook has been removed, of course!

Alex Jackson (AJ) DCC couplings could be what you're looking for. Only for the loco of course.

Thanks for that.  It looks very delicate though.  I was hoping for something more like the existing system but with a (very) miniature solenoid.

Hi RDS

I discuss all sorts of things here and there to get my ideas together. But, have no plans for this yet, the main think is I am aware of it and once the layout comes together then I can look at these sort of refinements.

Meanwhile I watch to see if any further ideas come up that I may wish to consider.  Let me know if you proceed with this please.

Hornby have to much going on at present but, once RM is raised and Loco Detection launched, tried, tested and brought to the level they want, and we wouldlike. Then maybe they could look at these sort of things, I would doubt it before then, just my thoughts.

The Krois is my favourite from what I have seen so far  ;o)

PJ

Hi RDS

I discuss all sorts of things here and there to get my ideas together. But, have no plans for this yet, the main think is I am aware of it and once the layout comes together then I can look at these sort of refinements.

Meanwhile I watch to see if any further ideas come up that I may wish to consider.  Let me know if you proceed with this please.

Hornby have to much going on at present but, once RM is raised and Loco Detection launched, tried, tested and brought to the level they want, and we wouldlike. Then maybe they could look at these sort of things, I would doubt it before then, just my thoughts.

The Krois is my favourite from what I have seen so far  ;o)

PJ

hi,

I have fitted krois couplings to both locos and of late to a couple of wagons.

an example of one my wagons can be viewed on you tube on dcc train automations channel.

regards

tsclass87

hi, I have fitted krois couplings to both locos and of late to a couple of wagons.

an example of one my wagons can be viewed on you tube on dcc train automations channel.

I am interested in looking at this but what do you mean, utube dcc train automations channel?

Another interesting alternative.

Hi PJ, Thanks but that is not what I want because I do not want to be restricted to specific parts of the layout for un-coupling.

(It would be like going back to DC and having to control the Track instead of the Loco)

The Krois system is the one that interests me but I am not sure which of their models to go for as their website is not particularly clear about the differences, apart from the height adjustable version.  I just want to be able to fit it to my shunters.   Also, does it connect to an existing Hornby system (I realise that I will have to take the dropper off the first wagon)

Another interesting alternative.

Hi PJ, Thanks but that is not what I want because I do not want to be restricted to specific parts of the layout for un-coupling.

(It would be like going back to DC and having to control the Track instead of the Loco)

The Krois system is the one that interests me but I am not sure which of their models to go for as their website is not particularly clear about the differences, apart from the height adjustable version.  I just want to be able to fit it to my shunters.   Also, does it connect to an existing Hornby system (I realise that I will have to take the dropper off the first wagon)

Hi RDS

I am happy to look at all systems but, I agree with you the Krois system is my favourite so far.

PJ

Hi tsclass87

Thanks, I have now viewed your utube clip with help from poliss who provided the link .  

I am only considering fitting it to my Shunters at present.  I will go for the height adjustable version of the Krois.  I realise that I will have to remove the dropper (apologies if that is the incorrect name) from the first wagon.

Can you confirm that it interfaces with the standard Hornby / Bachmann couplings (not sure what correct name is) and that one of the range appears to have the 'dovetail' type connector to fix it to the Loco.  

ghhi hi

Hi tsclass87

Thanks, I have now viewed your utube clip with help from poliss who provided the link .  

I am only considering fitting it to my Shunters at present.  I will go for the height adjustable version of the Krois.  I realise that I will have to remove the dropper (apologies if that is the incorrect name) from the first wagon.

Can you confirm that it interfaces with the standard Hornby / Bachmann couplings (not sure what correct name is) and that one of the range appears to have the 'dovetail' type connector to fix it to the Loco.  

hi rds,

yes you can use then with standard couplings. watch out for height variations between locos and stock.

i have started to change wagons rather than locos personally because i believe it is better especially since i do not want to mess around with sound locomotives. i then try to choose a coupling to fit to the loco ie straight or cranked etc.

please note you need a decoder which is designed to work the coupling, another reason to equip the wagon rather than the loco.

please note as per the video, there is a max time out forthe operation of the coupling ( set at 4 seconds on my couplig decoders) which is important or else you will burn out the coupling I have been advised. 

also you will notice that there are different types of couplings which required replacemnt couplings.

on the companies web site there is another coupling system but this is more restrictive but gives more operational satisfaction, this is advertised as t4t.

hope this helps

ts

yes you can use then with standard couplings. watch out for height variations between locos and stock ...

Thank you - very helpful.  My wagons and Coaches though have plastic wheels and no wheel contacts so I imagine a fair bit of work is required to add metal wheels and then wheel contacts (Is brass available somewhere that thin?)

Archived