Help required to convert Hornby Class 47 (R288) to DCC

Lanc

I have a Hornby R288 class 47 I need to h/wire for DCC, however cannot find a similar ringfield conversion on the web. This motor is marked R317 & instread of screw in brush connections uses spade connectors either side of the brushes. The right brush is wired (brown) to the non motor bogie & the left to another spade connector via a short black wire to connect to the casting on the far side of the motor also using a spade connector.    I presume it takes the place of the long screw through the motor on other versions that would otherwise need to be insulated or shortened.

Ok, so if I cut the wire between the left brush & the far side of  the motor & then connect the decoder's grey wire to the motor left & orange to the right  will I be correct to connect black to the black wire & red to the brown wire leading to the non powered bogie ?  & have I left anything out ?

Paul once you have disconnected all wires from the motor you MUST check to see if there is any continuity between either motor brush and any metal chassis that may be in the motor bogie or to any wheel.

If so you must find this connection and isolate it before connecting anything to the decoder or you will fry it.

The motor bogie and dummy bogie pickup wires can be paired together according to which rail they connect to and connected to the decoder pickup wires as usual.

Hi Paul, Google Brian Lambert and you'll find he covers various Ringfield type conversions in his DCC section.  As I think you already realised and RAF has confirmed, the important thing is to ensure the LH brush is isolated from chassis.  However, the fact you have a wire making the connection is a good first indication that it is ok, but check anyway.

Archived