eLink/railmaster

Mystyqye

Will railmaster/elink work with the Bachman 44902? I know it works with hornby elite, however it is a lot too rich for my blood. I know can use an iPad which I will use most of the time... But would like another option if having issues with iPad/computer.

Thanks

Plus, with only having one locomotive running on like 15' of track, the elite system is a lot overkill. Though I have 7 turnouts and will eventually lights and sound  

So this system seems reasonably priced. I just hope it works with Elink

thanks

lori

Mysty, NO, nor will it work with select. Elink, works only with Railmaster, where it acts as a bridge from track to laptop.. You can buy an extra handheld licence for Ipad.. If you already have elink. it would serve no purpose, buying an elite. One thing occurs to me, with 7 points , if you are having problems, do you have a 4 amp transformer, for your elink. john

The answer is yes, all DCC locos including yours will work with RM/eLink.

I'm now very confused. The Bachmann 44902 quoted by the OP is not a loco, it is a Bachmann EZ DCC controller

Thanks for your help guys :)

Let me try and clarify here...No I do not have any controller or anything at moment. But I want to use my iPad most of the time, as it will be a coffee table, I really don't want to have to use a computer also. I would though like to use an actual controller also In case iPad is having issues for whatever reason. This is why am considering the eLink, but the elite is overkill and way too expensive for one train with a small layout. 

I am a newbie here, using n-gauge micro engineering track code 55, no more than 15' with 7 turnouts. That's all I have purchased, but know need to do wiring before jump into scenery.

thanks

mysty

Mysty, yes agree Elite too expensive when RM/eLink has exactly the same capability but without knobs.

You can only run RM on a full Windows PC/laptop.  Then you buy a handheld licence for the iPad to go with it.  You have to do all of your setting up on the PC but you will be able to do all of your operation on the handheld for such a simple layout.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Let me try and clarify here...No I do not have any controller or anything at moment. But I want to use my iPad most of the time, as it will be a coffee table, I really don't want to have to use a computer also. I would though like to use an actual controller also In case iPad is having issues for whatever reason. This is why am considering the eLink, but the elite is overkill and way too expensive for one train with a small layout. 

I am a newbie here, using n-gauge micro engineering track code 55, no more than 15' with 7 turnouts. That's all I have purchased, but know need to do wiring before jump into scenery.

thanks

mysty

Well the first thing to note is that the iPad functionality is an extension of the Hornby RailMaster software. The Hornby iPad application cannot talk to the Elite, Elink or any other DCC controller direct, it communicates via RailMaster. Therefore a PC of some description is required to run RailMaster on and you would need a copy of the RailMaster software in addition to the iPad application software ( I believe this is a download once you have the RailMaster licensed software installed).

Can't comment on what iPad type interfaces might be available on non Hornby systems.

Hmmm according to the website it says standalone iPad and computer not needed as wiThrottle. Though it might need to be setup on a computer... Which isn't an issue to set it up that way. Just don't want to have to have computer out all the time.

Maybe i am mistaken 

Definitely have to have RM on a computer, the computer connected to eLink, the eLink connected to track, and running all the time you want to work the layout.  But having started up, you can put the computer to one side with wifi on and use only the handheld to operate the layout. 

Hmmm according to the website it says standalone iPad and computer not needed as wiThrottle. Though it might need to be setup on a computer... Which isn't an issue to set it up that way. Just don't want to have to have computer out all the time.

Maybe i am mistaken 

Could you include a link to where this comment is stated. It may be poorly worded and/or open to mis-interpretation. Need to see the comment in its full context. I suspect what the full statement is trying to say is that you don't need the PC in front of you to control the layout. e.g you are not using the PC as a direct user interface. The PC most definitely needs to be running RailMaster software, even if in the background, for the iPad to do its job. The RailMaster PC acts as a master 'server' with the iPad(s) given slave IP addresses communicating to the PC IP address via the wireless interface of your router. Thus, the RailMaster software needs to be running to facilitate communication between iPad and the physical controller eg. eLink / Elite connected to the track. The PC is not used just for initial configuration only and then put away.

Lori

Yes the Elite is expensive but it is the system I use with RailMaster because for me, it provides the best of both worlds, computer or manual control.

I have RailMaster loaded on a dedicated laptop and this is connected to my layout by an Elite.  This set-up allows the full use of RailMaster from the computer or if I do not want to switch the computer on, the whole layout can be controlled from the Elite.

It even allows you to run the Loco's from RailMaster andd then take over manual control using the Elite.  No change to any of my extremely simple wiring is required for any of these scenarios.

Lori

Yes the Elite is expensive but it is the system I use with RailMaster because for me, it provides the best of both worlds, computer or manual control.

I have RailMaster loaded on a dedicated laptop and this is connected to my layout by an Elite.  This set-up allows the full use of RailMaster from the computer or if I do not want to switch the computer on, the whole layout can be controlled from the Elite.

It even allows you to run the Loco's from RailMaster andd then take over manual control using the Elite.  No change to any of my extremely simple wiring is required for any of these scenarios.

Thanks, surprises me that with today's technologies there aren't more options. 

Unfortunately, with limited space I can't have a computer  

Mysty, there is a system about to be released that you might want to check out for your arrangement.  It's called BlueRail, it's under development with Bachmann.  Basically, you provide just DC power to your track, then install a decoder in each loco that talks to a smart phone app by wifi to do the controlling. 

Archived