Hornby lighting

Desperate_Dave

I remember you recently had a post "Select Unit lighting problem". I assume this question is a follow up to that previous question and relates to the Hornby Skalelighting products you are using. I take it you have decided to continue using the Select Accessory power output, this will be live all the time the Select is switched on. If you want to switch the lights on and off, either all of them together or individually. You will need to wire in an external (external to the Select) switch or switches of some kind. Say for example a 'toggle' switch. The number of switches being defined by the number of individual lamps you want controlled by each switch. This will mean potentially modifying the wiring of your Hornby Scalelighting distribution units to suit.

I see from the Hornby Shop page for Scaledale lighting that it can be run from 12V DC or 16V AC. You would probably be better off running it from a separate supply to give your Select more slack to run trains.

If it were me, I would make a little board up with a 12V DC socket, that would accept the jack from a Wall-Wart type of 12V DC power supply, and a terminal block to accept the Scaledale distribution strip wires. These parts are very cheap and can be found in places like Maplins as well as on line.

If they are Hornby Skalelighting products, why not add a Loco decoder and then switch them on or off as you require. Depending on the quantity, you may need a relay to limit the current through the decoder.  If you added RailMaster at a later date, you could then automate them through a program.

RAF96 & RDS some good ideas but they were all pretty much covered in Dave's earlier post mentioned in my first reply (except the decoder suggestion).

https://www.hornby.com/forum/select-unit-lighting-problem/?p=1

Not to malign Dave, but reading his other post (linked above) I don't think his electrical skill level is up to wiring up decoders and relays. I may be wrong, and my apologies to Dave if I am.

RAF96 & RDS some good ideas but they were all pretty much covered in Dave's earlier post mentioned in my first reply (except the decoder suggestion).

Not to malign Dave, but reading his other post (linked above) I don't think his electrical skill level is up to wiring up decoders and relays. I may be wrong, and my apologies to Dave if I am.

No apology necessary - you're quite right

Dave,

"No apology necessary - you're quite right"

Thanks for that Dave. I was feeling very uneasy putting my skills comment in writing. I felt it was necessary to bring the technical level of the replies down to a basic easy to understand and implement level.

Archived