Hornby class 37 tts now fitted with directional lighting

dynax

Hi Mike

Thanks - looks good.  Been keeping away from the TTS decoders as I have been unsure as to whether they would be OK with lights.

May just invest in a couple not I'vs seen them working.

Peter

it is very fiddly and you have to solder wires to the pcb, which is very awkward, but i just took my time and didn't rush it, Mike.

Mike,

I've got a Gadwell tts so won't be trying directional lights on that, but as my User name suggests I quite like the 37's so may well buy a tts in the not too distant future [impending birthday!]. Presumably you are connecting lights to the tts decoder. Did you have to solder connections to the decoder or are wires already fitted?

Mike,

I've got a Gadwell tts so won't be trying directional lights on that, but as my User name suggests I quite like the 37's so may well buy a tts in the not too distant future [impending birthday!]. Presumably you are connecting lights to the tts decoder. Did you have to solder connections to the decoder or are wires already fitted?

you have to remove the pcb to solder the wires, it is fiddly but can be done, i have actually used 10 leds in it, 6 white and 4 red, extra 2 white ones are for the cab at each end,Mike.

Which PCb have you soldered to, the decoder itself or the board into which it plugs?

I haven't actually seen one but I would have expected that all decoder pins go into the socket for a start, and from there, there would have been solder pads somewhere associated with each pin in that socket?

Which PCb have you soldered to, the decoder itself or the board into which it plugs?

I haven't actually seen one but I would have expected that all decoder pins go into the socket for a start, and from there, there would have been solder pads somewhere associated with each pin in that socket?

you are correct the decoder plugs into a socket on a pcb, and from there you have corresponding solder tags, but you have to remove the plug, undo 2 screws which holds the socket pcb, then you have access to be able to solder the wires, Mike.

Easy job.

The decoder socket as installed has the motor and pickup connections at the 4 corner pins, and the lights connect to the other 4  empty pins in the middle.

As TTS has only the equivalent of a 2 function decoder (for lights) then you use the white/yellow for directional lights as normal (on F0), the green for the Aux lights (on F25) and the Blue for the lighting power.

Its all very clearly shown in the TTS user manual (leaflet).

• 1 month later...

here is my hornby class 37 tts which i have now fiited directional lighting cheers, Mike.

Hi

Great looking lights, where was they purchased from?

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin, they're just 3mm red and white leds, it's a diy job, heres a link to some photos, they are on post number 1512

http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=59424#post59424

thanks for the information I will give it ago

• 2 years later...

I took my 37tts into Olivias Trains in Sheffield. They said that it couldn't be done with the Hornby decoder!! They obviously lied as I didn't buy the loco from them. There is a very useful Youtube video that fits a lighting set to this loco from Express Models. I've just ordered a set. 

With the TTS decoder having limited current for directionals lights I fitted and additional 1K resistor in the blue wire feeding the Express Lighting kit for my Class. The TTS function outputs are not self protecting and if you try to run 3 x front and 2 x rear lights each way it will overload and could be damaged.

Rob

TTS decoders are 3-function - F1 white wire forward directional lights, F2 yellow wire rear directional lights and F3 green wire whatever you like but probably cab lights, blue wire common positive. maximum output from the leaflet is 150mA at 12-15 volts so Rob’s 1k resistor will limit current to 15mA max in each circuit.  Enough to light the LEDs and a minimal current load.

The directional lighting arrangement in the TTS is the same as most if not all decoders on the market.  There should be no problem with using it. 

When used as an LED current limiting resistor. The 1K resistor will dissipate about 100mW give or take a bit. Therefore a 1/4W resistor provides a good all round compromise. Big enough wattage rating such that it doesn't get heat stressed, but low enough wattage rating for a small physical size.

Archived