DCC conversion guides...

96RAF

Would Hornby please update their conversion guides as there must be many locos that have a guide, probably hidden in someone's desk (pc) at HCC, that have not made it into the lists in the web Support Area.

E.g. Class 395, HST, etc.

Yes, definitely use heatshrink, not electrical tape, and only needed if there is a chance the decoder will short to anything.

Just for the information of those who may know about heatshrink sleeving.

You can buy a single short length of sleeve from Hornby spares suppliers under the X5383 part number at over 2 GBP a piece, or you can go to the likes of Maplin and buy it in longer lengths in various diameters or even a selection box of various sizes at much better prices - see here http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=heashrink&x=19&y=14  

You don't need to fully shrink it on when using it on a decoder just use it as loose protection. I do slightly shrink one end before inserting the decoder just to close it enough to stop the decoder poking through.

Without wishing to alarm anyone, a little story about Kapton which has been used as insulation on aircraft wiring for many years.

In a typical old generation aircraft style of large wire bundle (hundreds of wires together) it was found the insulation degraded if it had gotten wet from condensation or whatever.

This  allowed cables to short with each other causing electrical fires. The answer was to segregate the wire bundles into a more layered structure with air space between the layers. Problem solved.

At our level of use there is little fear of such Kapton fireworks.

Whilst I acknowledge the requirement of ventilation of decoders for heat dissapation, Why is electrical insulation tape disapproved, whilst heatshrink sleeving is OK? Electrical 'insulation' tape is not 'heat' insulation, any more than heatshrink compounds. I would have thought that fitting heatshrink loosely (unshrunk) to a decoder (ie limited physical contact) would be more detrimental. Heat disapation requires an adequate air flow contact with the decoder. Idealy, decoders should be left uncovered (naked), and insulation (electrical) should be attached to any areas that could possibly make physical (electrical) contact to the decoder.

Insulation tape by its very nature will make close contact with the decoder components thus restricting any airflow, whereas unshrunk sleeving allows some airflow whilst providing protection.

In addition (and this may be brand dependant) insulation tape adhesive tends to get very claggy after a while particularly if heated.

Whilst a bare decoder mounted as you say would be absolutely fine in a large bodied loco such as a Railroad diesel I would rather mine were safely sleeved when installed in close quarters inside a steamer boiler, even with exposed metal loco parts taped over.

Personal preference - so go with what you are happy with.

Archived