access decoder r8216

badgers

can any one help please ,got a new elite unit, satrted too set it up worked out setting up locos, but have trouble with point decoder, do you have too program it before you conect,

to points and do you have too use a programing track too set it up first ,tried both ways but it still does not work points  

badgers

Hi Badgers

This is an extract from the Elite manual which should help:

The Hornby R8247 Accessory / Point Decoder may be programmed and read back in Direct Mode. The older R8216 Point Decoder must be programmed in Reg Mode. Read back is not supported.

Note - The R8216 Point Decoder requires pre-charging for 20 seconds by connecting it to the Elite Track output beforre disconnecting and connecting to the ‘Programme’ output for programming.

hi thanks for that ,some thing that i have noticed is my manual is for the 8216 and not for the r8247,only bougth it last summer ,and just opened it up,but it has no reference to r8247 only r8216,is there a up grade or have i been sold something which is out of date 

badgers

To make matters worse Badgers there were some R8247s sold that were mislabled as R8216s only confirmable as to what it actually was by looking at the date underneath. The subject is searchable for on the forum(s). This is the place you want https://www.hornby.com/forum/r8247-vs-r8216---is-there-a-problem-in-using-both-controllers-on-same-system/

A simple way of checking (maybe later when you have got it programmed to start with) is that the R8216 will only output a pulse to work solenoid motors whereas R8247 can be set to output a continous voltage to operate lights, etc as well as a pulse.

You may want to compare what the Elite manual says about programming acc decoders versus what the acc decoder manual says about it.

well thanks again for all your help , downloaded the 37 pages of the Elite controler as advised,big difference from the book that came with the boxed elite it covers every thing it can do also the programing for R8247 which is what i have and not R8216 which the book is trying to guide me ,well it loks like another day of reading and trying too get it right again,good job i retired a few years back go plenty on my plate now ,thanks again all of you ,but dont go too far away ,will need too pick your brains again no doubt,just one thiong do i need too down load any upgrades and if so how do you do it 

badgers

If your Elite is at v1.41 (check the screen as it starts up) then you are AOK. There are no downloadable updates for the acc decoders.

If you are at any less of an Elite version then you can download the latest version from the Hornby website and have fun trying to update it. They provide full instructions that you must follow to the letter, but there is plenty more chat on the forum about that little game.

See you soon Badgers.

hi chaps ,sorry to say but i am back too pick your brains again,read the 37 pages of downloaded elite,and also went in to some of the info on the forum help lines and picked up a point about the type of points that are recommend too be used with the decoder for it too work correctly and in feb 14 2015 CHRISSAF mentioned that R 8247  would work with points motors R8014 OR R8243  and wounderd if this is my problem as i had my set up before i started dcc with old hornby triang points and lever switches,but have trouble with the decoder when trying too make them work ,could this be my problem do i need too replace point motors with the new type as above, it makes sense,as i spent another long night in the bedroom trying all different combernation, then sat on the forum list too see if it helped any and spotted his help line 

Archived