Looking at adopting DCC however have a few questions 1st.

N0ddie

Hello folks. I've only recently got back into train sets after having an old Eurostar set when I was younger (About 18 years ago) and my little one being obsessed with trains (Specifically Thomas the tank engine). Anyway, I took delivery of my new Virgin Pendolino set yesterday and should have my Sir Chris Hoy Javelin being delivered today (Along with other bits of track and accessories to complete the layout I'm wanting). The limitations of having the system analogue mean I'm thinking about going DCC.

So my first question relates to the locomotive decoders. Both trains have 2 locos each (One worker, one non-driver). After some reading it appears that if I want the lights to work on both locos on each train I therefore need 2 decoders per train (One in the worker, one in the non-driver). This is fine however my question relates to the address that will be allocated to the locos. Is the address for both locos or does each loco get an address?

2nd question. Will the train (When equipped with the DCC decoders) still work on an analogue layout?

Cheers.

Q1. Yes - you just give both the power coach and the dummy coach the same address. Put them both on the programming track (programming - something to look at sooner rather than later) at the same time if its long enough or you can do them individually.

Q2  Yes you can without any problems as long as the decoder is set for both DC and DCC operations (something to look at later), but be very wary about leaving an anologue loco on a DCC track. You can effectively control 1-only non-DCC loco via DCC, but the motors do not like to be sat there with full DCC voltage on them. For a start they buzz (i.e. them not happy) and then they fall over (i.e. you not happy). 

Normally both the powered unit and the non powered unit would be given the same address but it's up to you if you want to be able to control the lights separately.

When fitted with a decoder they should still run on dc (analogue) layouts unless dc running has been turned off in the decoder settings, specifically CV29.  People sometimes choose to turn off dc running to prevent runaways on DCC layouts which can occasionally happen.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just stick with one address for both ends of the train (Drive and non-drive) for ease. Can't see a need (Yet) to control just the lights separeately.

As switching to DCC isn't exactly cheap and one is looking to spread the expense out, buying and fitting the decoders to the locos and maintaining the ability to operate on a DC (Analogue) setup is ideal.

Just need to decide on my final layout before I start fitting points motors, signals etc. I sometimes think my 6' x 4' board is too small for the trains I've bought (The Virgin Pendolino for example.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just stick with one address for both ends of the train (Drive and non-drive) for ease. Can't see a need (Yet) to control just the lights separeately.

As switching to DCC isn't exactly cheap and one is looking to spread the expense out, buying and fitting the decoders to the locos and maintaining the ability to operate on a DC (Analogue) setup is ideal.

Just need to decide on my final layout before I start fitting points motors, signals etc. I sometimes think my 6' x 4' board is too small for the trains I've bought (The Virgin Pendolino for example.

Hi N0ddie and welcome to the forum...

I noted your last paragraph and when you say your 6x4 may be too small for a Pendolino... I was actually trying to picture that in my mind before I read that bit... I had the front of the train catching up to the rear as soon as it starts moving... :-)

Of course, there is a serious note to this... is it possible to build a larger layout for yourself? If not you could just remove a coach or two which you have no doubt thought of. But large trains on a 6x4 will have consequences when going over crossings if you have them and the other train waiting every on circuit. Anyway, I am sure you will sort it.

Controlling lights separately? I can only think of one need really... if you have a service pit for example and you want to mimic one car being tested at a time... just a thought. Bit of a pain though if you then want them to have the same numbers again for normal operation!

You can either use a loco decoder or a function only decoder in the dummy loco, both set to the same address.

The decoder in the dummy loco should have the default direction changed so that the lights work in the correct direction.

Sometimes a decoder is reluctant to be addressed as their is no load from a motor. You can either programme it first in the power car or use a 100 ohm resistor across the decoders Grey and Orange wires.

See the section 'Decoder Controlled Lighting' on Brian Lambert's DCC pages.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Decoder_1

Bit of a pain though if you then want them to have the same numbers again for normal operation!

He could run them as a 'consist' for operating both at once, and de-select it to operate the lights independantly.

Having a bit of trouble with this post 2e0.  I can't see how you can you operate a train with a power car and a dummy car as a consist?  There is actually only one loco, the power car.

And it isn't practical to operate power and dummy cars on different addresses or it would be a real pain to set up the lights.  Just have them on the same address as previous advice says.

Archived