Can't set acceleration/deceleration after fitting DCC decoder

jelmusic

I have a Tornado Pullman DCC ready and bought a DCC decoder R8249, which I installed. Then I placed it on the track, and programmed it (with my Select controller) to run on number 02. It has only stop and full speed - I've tried setting both accel and decel at different values, and it always goes to full speed very quickly. The main problem it seems, is that it doesn't run slowly (when I turn the speed knob up only a bit), it's all or nothing. In analogue mode, this works fine. 

I have another DCC fitted loco, which works normally with this Select controller.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi jel, welcome to the forums.

Have you tried setting them to a pretty high value like 50 or more to see if it makes a difference?

And if that makes no difference, can you swap the decoders between your locos to see if the stop/ fast running goes with the decoder or stays with the Tornado.  If it goes to the other loco, then your new decoder is probably faulty.

I couldn't switch the decoder (different kind on the Belle, built in DCC), so I re-installed the dcc decoder that might or might not be working properly. Actually I think the accel/decell settings do work, but the main problem is the loco galways goes to full speed no matter how little I've turned the speed control dial clockwise. It's either on or off. 

Unfortunately, yes, there is no possibility of reading or writing any CVs direct with the Select. If its a question of amending acceleration and deceleration CVs, you can't do it unless you have an Elite or eLink/Railmaster setup. And, as said, you cannot alter CV29 either.

Sorry Graskie, that's one of your hats used.  Select can most certainly adjust accel and decel via its menu commands (not by directly writing to the CVs).  I'm not silly enough to suggest he change them if it's not possible, not as a rule anyway.

And jel, just to partially contradict what I just said to Graskie, my mistake suggesting swapping without realising the Belle has that little, different plug decoder in it.  Remember if you find that a new decoder fixes it, you can have the old faulty one replaced under warranty.  In fact, I'd start by taking it back and tell them it won't allow you to adjust speed beyond stop or flat out and they may well take it back and swap it immediately.

Thanks all for the helpful input. I did try pulling the connection a bit more out of the slots (just in case it was touching the body), also no change. I will get another decoder first as I am in Hong Kong, and had ordered direct from Hornby in the UK, then I will contact them if it is indeed faulty and go from there.

The Tornado works fine on a DC circuit, accel/decel/speed all normal. 

Sorry Graskie, that's one of your hats used.  Select can most certainly adjust accel and decel via its menu commands (not by directly writing to the CVs).  I'm not silly enough to suggest he change them if it's not possible, not as a rule anyway.

But I was right about not being able to read or write CVs directly from or to the Select, Fishy. Yes, I had slightly forgotten about being able to use a few basic menu commands, the same as on the Elite which, of course, can set much more. Even then, though, I believe the Select menu cannot read any of its few existing menu parameters.

Because most of my post was correct, I will only slightly nibble around the edges of my hat, if that's all right with you.

No, not pads. The hole things and the bits underneath. (Has anyone seen my memory?)

The socket plate has holes for the decoder plug and the various loco wires are soldered to the copper 'pads' radiating around the socket holes.

Archived