eLink has stopped working

NormanQ4

I have just turned on eLink and and am getting no response.

Has connected ok to RM.

Green light is on.

No power to track or program track.

Can't create short on track.

Done all the usual turn off and on etc.

Have noted the posts re. RM 1.61.  Did not get option to upgrade, still on 1.60.

Have had past eLink problems on other PCs but has been functioning reliably for past few days since switching to this laptop.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Just to clarify, green light on Elink, or Large green Elite rectangular symbol in top rh corner.. Can help, if Elink light, but if Elite light on, then you have in theory handshook. Try removing all leads from elink, and re- inserting, to elink, and both tracks. If it is only elink light, come out of everything. Power down. Unplug, wait , Plug in usb, plug in elink, turn on laptop, Wait, until all cd drive lights stopped, and drive stationary. Then and only then, click RM.  john

Norman, it seems like your eLink has failed and I suggest you do two things to confirm.  First go to the RM forum, second thread from the top RM: Setting Up and Getting Started and go through the steps suggested to confirm you really have done all of the setup stuff.  Then if still not working, email RM Support from within the Help window of RM.  They will be able to confirm if eLink is faulty or not and, if they think it is, help you get a replacement from Hornby.  Make sure you tell them not only what is wrong but what you have done already or they will start by wanting to go through all the stuff covered in the thread.

I've found the source of the problem and fixed it.

Previously I was not getting a short circuit warning but today when I turned RM on I did.

I removed everything from the track and vacuumed it thoroughly.

No short warning.

When I placed a Pullman coach with table lamps on the track it created a short.

Removed coach and cleared the short and did the same with second coach and it created a short.

Removed second coach and cleared short and placed loco on track and it ran without a problem.

I guess that with these coaches sitting on the track yesterday a short had already occurred, although no warning appeared on the RM screen, I was unable to create a further short when I tried.

The Pullman coaches were fine until I adjusted the B to B spacing on them inwards to 14.4mm because they were derailing on new curved points I had installed.

On studying the coaches closely I noticed that the axles had plastic bushes on one end, obviously as insulators.

I had refitted one of the axles on each coach the wrong way around, thereby creating the short.

Another win for operator error.

Thanks to you all for your interest.

Archived