Elink teething problems

Luddite

Hi

I had the elink working but now it does not.

Think it may be a power issue.  The track works with old non elink power supply - so I am guessing there are no shorts in the track - I have tested a non DCC train and it whizzes round.

When I hook up the elink supply the DCC train moves for one second then cuts out for 10 seconds then moves for one second.

I checked the voltage going to the track and it is a lot more powerful with the non DCC set up even when the speed is set high on the DCC controller. (I don't have a multimeter just an old electrical test meter) so cannot tell you the exact voltage that is getting to the tracks.

I cannot work out if it is the DCC loco or the power or both.

When I try the DCC train on the old non DCC track power unit it behaves the same way - 1 second on 10 seconds off.

Has anyone had a similar issue in the past?  If so any advice?

Also out of interest elink didn't like Windows 8.1  - didn't want to work with it - is that a common issue?

Thanks

If the DCC loco is set up for both DC and DCC operations then it should run on the non DCC track just the same as your older locos. The fact it is also tripping the non DCC controller as well suggests it is drawing a lot of current and the controllers (DC and DCC) are just protecting themselves.

If your DCC controller is set to run an analogue loco (on address 0) then try one of your other analogue locos but DO NOT LEAVE IT ON THE TRACK except when it is actually running or it could be damaged.

Using this logic you can see if the fault is a particular loco or a controller. Sounds to me like your DCC loco has a problem so you may want ot provide more details about to the forum and we should be able to help - e.g. make and model, was decoder fitted by manuafacturer or after market and if so what decoder is it, etc, etc.

Ref Win 8.1 - thats a long story. Suggest you search forums and have good read about it. No short answer. I use Win 8.1 no problems - no so others.

The voltage to the track never changes with DCC. It's always around 15v AC.

If the loco cuts out on DC as well as DCC, then it could either be an electrical fault with the loco, or a fault with the decoder.

Thanks for the swift reply - I will try to see which it is - loco or decoder.

If the DCC loco is set up for both DC and DCC operations then it should run on the non DCC track just the same as your older locos. The fact it is also tripping the non DCC controller as well suggests it is drawing a lot of current and the controllers (DC and DCC) are just protecting themselves.

If your DCC controller is set to run an analogue loco (on address 0) then try one of your other analogue locos but DO NOT LEAVE IT ON THE TRACK except when it is actually running or it could be damaged.

Using this logic you can see if the fault is a particular loco or a controller. Sounds to me like your DCC loco has a problem so you may want ot provide more details about to the forum and we should be able to help - e.g. make and model, was decoder fitted by manuafacturer or after market and if so what decoder is it, etc, etc.

Ref Win 8.1 - thats a long story. Suggest you search forums and have good read about it. No short answer. I use Win 8.1 no problems - no so others.

Hi - thanks for the swift reply  - I will try you idea with the address 0 comparison and will supply more details about the loco.

Luddite, there are a couple of things to add to advice already given:

Often there can can be issues with your setup that you have yet to find.  You can check this by going to the RM forum and looking at the 2 top threads which can check your initial setup quite comprehensively.  The separate site called up in the first and the detail contained in the second are alternatives, you are unlikely to need to go through both.

With certain rare exceptions due to USB hardware, RM works with Windows 8.1, but the setup can be more fiddly than earlier versions.  Hence you need to check those threads to make sure.

Your old meter may not be giving you a proper reading. For a start, it must be on an AC range, but even then may struggle given the DCC frequency is around 8kHz, not the 50Hz it is likely designed for.  But you can check - try measuring while the loco is running for a second and off for 10.  If you get a reading during the second, it is working.  Even working, it may not show the 15V poliss mentions due to the frequency problem.

Working for a second and not for 10 almost certainly indicates your controller, eLink or DC, is tripping out due to overload.  As it happens on both DCC and DC, it is probably the loco having a decoder fault.  You might consider taking it back.

You could also email RM Support from within the Help window or RM, explain what you have already done in detail to them, and see what they have to say.  They are very good and responsive. 

Archived