R8247 Accessory Decoder setup

rogerkjohnson

Peter,

Just remember that you won't get any output from the R8247 whilst it is still physically connected to the DCC controller programming output. Once it is programmed you have to reconnect it to the main DCC track output to test its functionality. Also remember, that out of the box, the R8247 is factory configured to operate a solenoid point with the four port addresses factory set to 0001, 0002, 0003 & 0004. This means that you can test the functionality of the R8247 first using those addresses before you re-assign them on the controller programming output.

You haven't stated what controller you are using e-link or Elite with Railmaster. If you have Elite, you can test the R8247 functionality using that first (see Elite manual Page 57) before progressing to operate them from the RM screen. There is a lot more configuration to do in RM before you can use it to control your points. Review this existing thread (click link below) and look for input on Page 1 with my Chrissaf forum name for more guidance using RM with the R8247, in particular refer to point 6 in my list of things that need to be done.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-do-i-make-and-wire-up-points-to-make-them-move-when-clicked/?p=1

Configuring the R8247 to work with RM is a two stage process. First you have to configure the actual R8247. Then you have to configure RM itself to communicate with your configured R8247. The two configurations have to be matched, else you will get nowhere.

If you reply stating what controller you are using with RM and list the things that you done successfully so far with regard to setting them up, and more importantly what things (exactly) you are still having difficulty with, then I can tailor a specific response. But bear in mind that I am not a mind reader, please be specific about your issues. Just saying it doesn't work is not very helpful to me.

PS - It would be doubly helpful if you didn't keep clicking the Blue Reply button, as this duplicates my long posts in the Yellow boxes un-neccessarily. Scroll right the way down to the bottom of the page and reply in the great big white reply box and then click the GREEN Reply button.

This reply is an example of using the GREEN button. As you can see there is NO yellow text duplicated.

Your issue would appear to be more with RM than the R8247. Hence the comment from Fishman about posting in the Railmaster section. This forum DCC section is for people who don't have or use RM.

One additional question. Have you found your Railmaster user guide that was installed on your PC as part of the software installation. In future replies I will need to refer you to certain pages of this guide.

One more additional question. Is your track layout one of your own design or is it based on Hornby's TrakMat. If TrakMat, what additional optional track packs (A to F) have you added if any.

I just want to say thank you again Chris and Fishmanoz for taking the time to explain in easy terms the "How to program and setup"  in my case being with the Elite Controller. I'm sure  when It comes to the time and as long as I take each step slowly I will get it all working.

I can see how confusing it can get for you with two people are asking the same sort of question,one using RM and the other an Elite with different programming routes of each.

Antony.

Antony,

Glad to have been of service. Don't forget we are usually always here to answer further questions as they arise.

Chris

• 2 years later...

I appear to have the same problem.  How do you access the screen to change the cv codes? 

I have clicked around the program screen without finding anything to amend other than the value for delay, the time of the pulse,or the always on check box.

Peter,

As your question is not particularly clear, in fact it is quite vague, but I am guessing that your question is "How do I write decimal value 8 to CV8 to a R8247 Accessory Decoder to return it to the factory default configuration using RailMaster?".

On the basis that my guess is correct and that is the question you are asking, then follow this process.

1. Remove the R8247 from your controller DC track output connection.
  2. Connect your R8247 to the Controller 'Programming' track output.
  3. In Railmaster click on the 'Steam Train' icon on the top row between the 'Cog' and 'Stop Watch' icons. This is the "Set up Locomotives" option. Yes I know that your R8247 is NOT a loco. But this is the correct procedure to follow to perform a factory reset of your R8247 Accessory Decoder.
  4. The "Locomotive" window will open. Ignore everything on this window except the " i " icon on the bottom left hand side row. Clicking this" i " icon opens the "Locomotive Settings" window.
  5. In the "Locomotive Settings" window column 1 is 'CV' number, column 2 is 'Description' and column 3 is 'Value'. Place your cursor in the 'Value' column for CV8, and type the number 8.
  6. Now click the 'Pencil' icon (Write CVs to Loco) located on the bottom far left side of the "Locomotive CV Settings" window.
  7. Wait for the write process to complete, this may take about 10 - 20 seconds.
  8. Click the Red X to Exit and close window on the "Locomotive CV Settings" screen
  9. Click the Red X to Exit and close window on the "Locomotive" screen.

Your R8247 should now be restored to factory default and have port addresses 1 to 4, to confirm this do the following.

1. Click on the "Point and Signal" icon (Program accessory decoder) located top row of RM right hand side next to the 'Exit' icon.
  2. "Accessory decoder" window opens.
  3. Click on the "Green" arrow (Read decoder settings) icon.

If the four ports are read back as ports 1 to 4, then your decoder has been successfuly factory reset.

Note: I believe in RailMaster ProPack the Accessory decoder screen has an additional "factory reset" icon included. But for us mere mortals with standard RM, then for writing to CV8 we must treat the R8247 as if it is a loco decoder.

Chris:

In sections 8 & 9 above, I was surprised that a red X was used to close. I was expecting a green tic after doing the work of writing to it. I did stick to your instructions to the letter though and didn't succeed to reset to factory settings. 

John

• 1 year later...

Hi, do people still use this? If so, i would appreciate some advivery, I too am having problems with the R8247, I have followed all the instructions above including resetting to factory settings however my decoder always returns back to port no. 6629, I’m running railmaster with elink, I have a R8216 running perfectly on the layout I just can’t get this one to work, the picture shows the screen when I have read the decode, any advice would be appreciate, cheers

Admin edit: Image upload failed - please use one of the image uploaders in the reply box.

Cows

What address are you trying to give it - a port address or a group address.

6629 is often returned by RM - doesn't mean to say the address hasn't been accepted. 

Where are you reading back from in RM - loco screen or points and signal screen.

Archived