What you can do with those old Airfix kits?

Braille Dave

Finished!

A conversion of the venerable AEC Refueller. I've completed it as 27AD59- a Mk4, set in the 50's.

I added a framework out of plasticard, for the booms (from the QL, but lengthened). I cut the rear quarterlights (left out by Airfix, unfortunately)

Scratched a new searchlight, added roller fairleads and replaced the towhook with the more correct drawerbar gear.

I added the supporting framework and the pump/filter unit using plasticard. All the hoses were solder wire, painted with tyre black. The fuel tank was shortened, and a storage locker added above

I've added a step ladder from the bomber resupply set to the stowage, under the rear. I thinned down all the mudguards.

The whole lot was sprayed in Humbrol112, with a splash of H64 light grey, then sprayed with Glosscote. The decals were Kingfisher, with RTI letters, then glosscoted again. The Yellow was Humbrol 69.

...I think it shows how good these old kits actually are.

Finished!

A conversion of the venerable AEC Refueller. I've completed it as 27AD59- a Mk4, set in the 50's.

I added a framework out of plasticard, for the booms (from the QL, but lengthened). I cut the rear quarterlights (left out by Airfix, unfortunately)

Scratched a new searchlight, added roller fairleads and replaced the towhook with the more correct drawerbar gear.

I added the supporting framework and the pump/filter unit using plasticard. All the hoses were solder wire, painted with tyre black. The fuel tank was shortened, and a storage locker added above

I've added a step ladder from the bomber resupply set to the stowage, under the rear. I thinned down all the mudguards.

The whole lot was sprayed in Humbrol112, with a splash of H64 light grey, then sprayed with Glosscote. The decals were Kingfisher, with RTI letters, then glosscoted again. The Yellow was Humbrol 69.

...I think it shows how good these old kits actually are.

Admin edit: Your images didn't show as they didn't appear to be linked correctly. Please post them again (although it may be best to save the images to your computer and then add to the Forum using the 'Browse' upload).

To admin:

I have tried, TBH a number of times with different photos- all I get is

'The file name you submitted already exists on the server'

so it never uploads- I would like to link to photobucket, but the site doesn't recognise an IMG link-  I tried 'copy & paste' in desperation. By the way I'm using an iPad- that shouldn't be an issue (other sites don't seem to have an issue) 

Right, people....next attempt.

For an explanation, please see the first post. (I'm quite happy if admin wishes to merge posts, or do similar, to lessen any confusion)

/media/tinymce_upload/9d721efd3664c334547cef11ef91c38d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5ebf3ae4fdcb6ffaff4ceb8929c37ae5.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a0ae9d3791948781005b48e84a78089e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/336df27e41857390869d679cce96d939.jpg

And as a bit of comparison-

A Mk2 refueller, painted in 1941 colours.

I think the changes are obvious, but like the previous kit wheels are Friendship models add-ons, spare wheel and frame added, quarter lights cut into the cab, and fire screen, tow hooks changed and Vacuum tank added.

/media/tinymce_upload/668204c202f233372483fc92399fd7cd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Cracking build, really love the finish you've achieved.

I've been stashing away the bits to have a crack at the Matador myself, 1/76 is not really my preferred scale, especially when the subject is intended to be posed with 1/72 aircraft, but this is such a unique kit it's worth the effort IMHO.

Does anyone know of any underscale 1/72 aircraft kits that it could be posed with?

Sarge, you're going on about this again aren't you!...TBH, like the Bedford QL tanker conversion of mine that you featured in one of your discussions on another site, these old kits are a little overscale anyway (except the Bedford OX- which is woefully underscale even for 1:76!) 

Actually I think all aeroplanes should change to 1:76.

Dave, I know that you know my position well and TBH you know that I'm right too.....I'm not condemning these old 1/76 models completely, but it has to be acknowledged that they've had their time. 

Would you genuinely object if Airfix decided to produce a new Matador (to the standards of their Bedfords, or better yet, to the standards of their new aircraft kits) in 1/72?

Nope.....Thought not! 

• 10 months later...

Archived