Change direction function won't work

StephenE

Hi
Ensure the rails are clean, the locos wheel treads are also clean. Then remove all other locos and retry. You can see if you can change the address number of the loco too. Address range is 1 to 59.
If it still wont reverse direction, I would try

a reset of the Select as per the manual page 19 then retry the loco.

For 8 pin decoders turning the decoder socket 180 degrees will change the direction of the loco. Not best but works. I understand this will make any lighting not work but if you don't have any that's OK.

I used this approach on a pair of class

20s to work 'nose to nose' as normal full size operation and they work lovely together.

Have fun.

Turning the decoder round will not make it go in both directions if that was the original problem. If Flashbang's solution of restting the controller didn't work then it would be best to contact Hornby customer support and ask them for advice.

Southernman,

insted of turning the decoder round you can change the default direction as explained in the Select manual.

Just had to do this with my new class 2800, decoder fitted in tender and I'm sure I fitted it the right way round, anyway I had to do the manual procedure several times without success and finally switched off the controller, then on again. Think you have

to hold the unlit button down till the red light stops flashing, then press the unlit button again. Think this worked for me.

• 4 weeks later...
SELECT V1.2 Feature Changes

3rd of November 2009

With this latest firmware release there have been some improvements to the user interface and other areas of operation. Please note the start-up sequence of the Select has changed i.e.

the digits 12, 30, 03 will now be displayed on start up.

This corresponds to Firmware version, Hardware Version, Address loco 03.

All previous changes in version 1.1 over version 1.0 (original release) remain unless modified in this update (v1.2).

For full information please read the following in conjunction with manual re version 1.1

Description of features changes

Improved Throttle Interface:
While previous Select versions operated satisfactorily re loco control; at times it

was possible for locos to stop or accelerate/decelerate suddenly if the loco is selected after controlling a previous loco. This was not a fault; however operation of locos does rely on the operator remembering the last position of the reselected locomotive.

In this change, once the reselected locomotive is chosen the controller will not affect the speed of the locomotive until the knob is turned and reaches the last speed setting. Once reached the controller will once again become active and the speed of the

locomotive can be changed.

Changes to “default direction” switching

Earlier versions of the Select allowed for the decoder to have the pre-set direction (default) changed by holding down one of the “Direction Arrow” keys for more than 3

seconds. However, it was possible to make accidental changes to the Decoder’s Default Direction when holding down a “Direction Arrow” key for too long when attempting to change a loco’s running direction. In Select version 1.2 the Decoder Default Direction

is now set with a two key operation. This is now achieved by pressing and holding the “0” and one of the Direction Arrow buttons at the same time for 3 seconds.

Under the skin updates

1) Consists now set up consistently. Earlier versions

of the Select occasionally would take a longer time to finalise the consist.

2) Improved resilience when re-programming certain decoders. In some cases CV2 on some decoders was affected.

3) Revised dependability when operating R8247 Point and

Accessory Decoders.

4) Power Down/Resume operation. The Select will resume loco lighting/movement status after a power down/restart.

Previous Feature Changes - V1.1 Description retained in V1.2

Version 1.1 of the Select made key changes

over the original production batch v1.0.

Description of feature changes:

1) Point and Accessory addresses now start at 61-99:

On the previous release of the Select (V1.0) Point and Accessory addresses started at 60. This was in order to

utilise the full number set in groups of 4 i.e. 60-99 comprises 10 full groups. Starting the accessory address numbering at 61, means that the 10th group will only have three accessible addresses.

While this change may seem like a step in the wrong

direction, starting at 61 brings the Select in line with the NMRA accessory address numbering scheme. In order for the Select V1.0 to operate correctly with point and accessory addresses it was necessary to map the addresses transmitted to the accessory decoders

by subtracting 3 from the desired address. this is over complex, and has now been eliminated. Users with older Selects moving on to V1.1 or V1.2 are recommended to reprogram all points etc. to correspond with a start address of 61.

2) Now possible

to control up to 9 decoder functions:

The original version of the Select (v1.0) only had the ability to control decoder functions 0-4. The change allows control of decoder functions 0-8.

3) Acceleration/Deceleration may now be set on a per

loco basis on the main track:

The original version of the Select (v1.0) could only set the A/D values using standard programming modes. Version 1.1 uses “Operational” mode to address any individual decoder on the track. Thus, allowing selective loco

programming of the A/C values.

Procedure

1. Press and Hold the Select Button for 3 Seconds (Number Display should then be flashing “LA”)

2. Key in the Address of Locomotive for A/D programming (Don’t press the Select.)

3. To

set A/D value for the decoder address keyed in the previous step. Either press, the Left Arrow Button (for Acceleration) or Right Arrow Button (for Deceleration), “AC” or “dE” will then be flashing on the display.

4. Key in the value for A/D, and finally

confirm the value and complete the programming by pressing Select button.

• 2 months later...
Changes to “default direction” switching

Would this programming technique apply to R8247 Accessory Decoder?

I would like a point that switches left/right to be controlled by pressing the equivalent left/right button on the Select. Depending

on where the motor has been installed relative to the point, pressing left might make it move right, or vice versa! So I would want to reverse its default direction.

Archived