"Basic" Decoder?

Wobblinwheel

A year or so ago, I bought my Hornby Railroad "DCC Fitted" Mallard. I almost immediately replaced the installed decoder. Now I want to temporarily use this "basic" decoder in my new "Caerphilly Castle" loco. Where might I find a complete technical manual on this decoder, listing lighting fuctions/wiring, "F" functions, and supported/unsupported CV's? If I remember correctly, this decoder didn't work very well, but then I didn't try to "fine tune" anything either. Is it worth using?

Possibly? I'm so used to TCS (keep alive) decoders lately, where on CV29, they have a list of functions, and a value for each. You decide the ones you want, add 'em up, and enter the total value. The destructions for the Hornby decoder threw me off a bit. I figured being NMRA compliant, it would probably be the same. And yes, the "bits" thing still confuses me sometimes. I've read it, [thought I] understood it, then next thing you know, I forgot it. Using so many different decoders (many with sound), and the different ways the manuals are presented, I get quite confused sometimes. I've got two locos with "record and play" functions, that I haven't been able to figure out at all. I "record a sequence", and when I "play it back"......ain't no tellin' what's gonna happen! Sometimes I gotta GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Bits 0 to 5 always have the same functions on CV29. Bits 6 and 7 are different. Bit 6 is reserved for future use and Bit 7 seems to be something to do with accessory decoders.

See the NMRA CV Standards S-9.2.2 for full details.

http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/s-9.2.2_2012_10.pdf

I use this simple tick box CV29 calculator to work out the values.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Very informative stuff, written in a way even I can understand! I'm starting to think the "record and play" function on my two locos require "14 speed step" while being recorded. Something about 14-steps using less memory. So, if I set CV29 to "0", will that change me to "14-steps"? How would you set "28-steps", instead of 128? I'm experimenting here...

Archived