Ferguson tractor

The moulds for the Ferguson are believed to be long gone. The kit was last issued in 1959. However, coincidentally, Heller is releasing a new kit of this exact model tractor in 1:24 scale this year. It seems an odd choice of subject but should be a welcome alternative for someone who doesn't want to pay collectors prices for an original on ebay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The bits of my Ferguson that I have left (wheels, bonnet) are moulded in red plastic.

The Fergies were moulded mostly in grey, and many kits were red, but there are also the wildest possible colour variations. Over the past two decades I've seen examples sold in colours as exotic as brown, purple and - believe it or not - pink!

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered of 3d printing would be the answer to lost moulds. Scan the sprue and 3d print from the scans? In theoryvthis could even generate one of orders for classic kits.

this sounds good, someone with a 3d printer should try it, i love the Fergi tractor.i would get one, if Airfix puts out one. 

• 4 months later...

My first ever kit! It was a Christmas present from my parents when I was about.. err.. well, quite young. What I remember most about it was the smell of the plastic. I have a book (unfortunately not to hand) which states iirc that it used an earlier type of plastic which made the parts subject to warping.

However, if H*ll*r are releasing one then that's a sale from me!

Archived