Class 59

JeremiahBunyan

Today it was announced that another manufacturer who planned on doing a OO gauge Class 59 has decided to drop this from their plans for many reasons.

The Class 59 has been one of the few modern image locos that has required a re-tool for ages now. When the Class 59 was announced by the other manufacturer it was of great interest and many who do model the more modern times 1995 onwards will require a Class 59 with so many liveries available.

So Hornby, are you'll willing to atually dip your toe into the modern image waters and whip up a brand new Class 59 with the various modern day features that we've come to expect from Hornby?

Class 59, Class 86, Class 87, Class 92, Class 91, Class 110, Class 142 Pacer, Class 156 Sprinter are some of the few remaining modern image models that need a retool. Hornby has always focused on steam locos and has largely ignored the D&E era.

So are you'll up for atleast a few of these?

I wonder why they dropped it. Perhaps they think it won't sell. 

Nope. It was not about sales, it was because that manufacturer couldn't get a few licenses sorted out for all the models planned. These licenses however is probably held by Hornby as they have done Class 59's in the past. I'm sure even if those licenses have expired Hornby can still do EWS, DB Schenker and GBRf versions to start off with and then move towards ARC, Yeoman. etc.

"Maybe its steam sells  where a lot of the modern locos coaches end up in sales."

Yes I imagine steam is more popular these days although I seem to recollect that when the Pendolino was first released Hornby said sales were about 50/50. A higher proportion of D&E are in packs as opposed to solo.

As for the 59 I'd have been happy for Hornby, when they first released it ex-Lima, to have fitted lights and put a decent donk in it and left the body as it is.

Regards, Les.

Archived