Class 86

JeremiahBunyan

Here's hoping that Hornby will actually produce a brand new Class 86 AC electric locomotive.

A loco that was around from August 1965 surely covers a broad time period for operations though mostly WCML ones. But it does come in a wide variety of liveries and I'm sure that being one of the most popular and well known AC electrins in Great Britain, it would surely sell provided Hornby do it to the same level as the Class 71.

Heljan has the class 86. Maybe another class would be a better choice

Not sure if you are aware of it or not but Heljan's effort was absolutely a waste....!!

Apart from a wonderful chassis the shell is riddled with inaccuracies and still has a lot to be desired. The cabs are wrong and the pantographs look awful. Either Heljan needs to release a newly-tooled one or Hornby can take up this classic AC electric and do a much better job.

Before I forget try eruophoenix news for some very cool paint jobs on class86's for export unfortunately. 

Not my bag electric's but it is a shame that heljan messed up on them.  Though as I understand heljan use a soft metal for tooling(saving money on tooling) so they tend to have to retool sooner so they might get the model right next time.  Coming from a steam modeler point of view the model was a decent one but as with all things it's the detail that makes or break a model.

Hi 

How about a remake of the Class 81 or should I say E3001 with working pantograph

I know I would like Hornby to do a remodel of the EM2 as a good version of a 55 year old Triang EM2 sells for as much as a new one from the Sheffield retailer. 

• 2 years later...

The Class 87 is not far away from going on sale. It looks amazing, from the samples i saw at the Railway show at the BMM last year, and the pics are fantastic. I am sure if we all support this electric, Hornby will consider a retool of the 86. So its up to us.

The Class 87 is not far away from going on sale. It looks amazing, from the samples i saw at the Railway show at the BMM last year, and the pics are fantastic. I am sure if we all support this electric, Hornby will consider a retool of the 86. So its up to us.

It's a splendid model and has a sensible amount of detail and functionality. I look forward to getting my Class 87s soon. I intend to buy as many as I can. Hopefully Hornby see the similarties between the two and can use that to build the Class 86.

• 1 month later...

I believe the moulds for the EM2 were cut up some years ago so a brand new one would be needed.  The class 81 inherited from Hornby-Dublo by Tri-ang was never a good model, again a new model would be needed. A new class 86 would be good.  I would like to see the new models without all the fally off bits, with fully servicable motors and full spares support.  The fally off detailing bits could be a pack included with the locos giving the modeller a choice to either not fit them or fit them. Giving the modeller a choice to fit all the bits that fall off in the four foot or not is essential.

Archived