Southern Railway Tanks Classes L, K1, H16, G16 Etc...

christopher_heath

The Southern Railway, SECR, LBSCR and LSWR have all seen a resurgence in the modelling world in recent years, but to the best of my knowledge there appears to be a shortage of tank engines being produced for these companies.  I wondered if Hornby might consider producing models of classes such as the L (4-6-4T). the K1 (2-6-4T), the H16 (4-6-2T) and the G16 (4-8-0T) as they are of great interest to me and none survive in preservation today.

The K1 (solitary Maunsell 3 cylinder 2-6-4T No A890 'River Frome') was rebuilt as a U1 2-6-0 tender loco shortly after K class No A800 'River Cray' was derailed at speed at Sevenoaks in 1927. A890 was used in comparative trials on the LNER after the derailment, to test whether as tank engines they were prone to roll at speed. This phenomenon was believed to be due to water in the side tanks sloshing fore and aft. However on thew LNER it ran steadily, but when a similar trial took place on the ex LSWR main line the ride was so bad that Gresley and Maunsell aborted the run. The SR track was at that time in a parlous condition but because the Civil Engineer Ellison was a very strong personality he persuaded the SR Board that the locomotives must have contributed to the derailment, and so the entire K and K1 classes were rebuilt as tender engines and the W class 2-6-4T goods engines which were of a similar design were banned from working passenger trains, and limited to 50 mph. A890 herself as a tank engine had indeed derailed on plain line at Bearstead near Maidstone 29 August 1927 three days after the Sevenoaks crash.

The LNER trials took place between Huntindon and St. Neots where there were high speed curves.  On the SR the tests took place between Woking and Walton. The comparative test locos were two cylinder K class A803 'River Itchen' and E782 'Sir Brian', a 4-6-0 N15 class. Oddly enough the Brighton tanks, classes I, J, and L were never regarded as anything else but fast passenger engines. The Baltic tanks were converted to tender engines by the SR but this was more to do with water capacvity than ride performance.

I agree with PP however, the LSWR has done very well of late, and it is time other lines and areas had a turn. the North Eastern, and the Scottish Companies deserve a bit of attention.

I concur with WTD about your choices Christopher. Not so much a wishlist post per se but the inclusion of the lowly workhorse on the Southern (Eastern) section SECR/SR/BR H Class 0-4-4 tank could also be considered (and luckliy with one still thankfully in preservation).

/media/tinymce_upload/5cd3bdd58356641ba2af46fb00a11995.JPG 

Couldn't agree more about the 'H', my third favourite loco, after the Wainwright  'C' and the Maunsell 'D1'.

Here are my two created from Hornby Dublo R1 and Airfix 14xx and a load of plastic card and SEF fittings.

Hello, again, LC&DR, 

Congratulations on your two excellent class 'H' tanks. Since we now have Dugald Drummond's wondrous trio of M7, 

T9 and class 700, why not 'H', 'C' ( Thank you Mr. B------n!) and especially the beautiful Wainwright class 'D'.

If anything the designs of Harry S. Wainwright showed an edge on those of Dugald Drummond, especially the class 'D' 4-4-0. Like the Supermarine Spitfire of whom its designer, Mr. R.J.Mitchell famously said, "If it LOOKS right, then it is right." the Wainwright class 'D' definitely LOOKS right. It was a superb locomotive and sadly, the sole survivor will not steam again because of all the money spent on an elaborate colour scheme that in my book is not the way I remember these superb engines.

The Southern Railway, SECR, LBSCR and LSWR have all seen a resurgence in the modelling world in recent years, but to the best of my knowledge there appears to be a shortage of tank engines being produced for these companies.  I wondered if Hornby might consider producing models of classes such as the L (4-6-4T). the K1 (2-6-4T), the H16 (4-6-2T) and the G16 (4-8-0T) as they are of great interest to me and none survive in preservation today.

I agree most whole-heartedly especially with regard to H16 and G16, both very impressive designs. In our world of models these two classes lend themselves to the two primary functions of these classes. The G16 was used in Feltham 'hump' marshalling yard while the H16 was an extremely useful Empty Carriage Stock locomotive between Waterloo and Nine Elms carriage sidings. Both G16 and H16 have plenty of room for a large motor AND extra weighting between the massive side tanks.

OOWORKS (The brown box company?) still have some Marsh I3s (4-4-2T) for sale if you are quick.

I was disappointed with my OOWorks 'C' that I bought some years ago. The chimney was a very crude tube totally unlike the proper Wainwright (albeit shortened by the SR) shape. The loco to tender coupling was excessive, and keeps coming uncoupled, and the detail was minimal, especially when the price was considered. After about two years of only very occasional use it stopped working correctly, and runs very sluggishly.  I have modified the chimney with Plastic Padding, and it now resides 'on-shed' as a 'spare'. Compared to the more recent Bachmann model of the same engine which comes at nearly half the price I feel the OOWorks model was overpriced and of dubious value.

Archived