Belated Return to Steam to 6023

A BR blue version of 6023 (as now preserved but also representative of the early BR period) would be an interesting model. It might be something the shop at Didcot would want to stock and while it would not appeal to me personally, I imagine it would be a popular model.

Hi Ozex (excuse the familiarity but your full name is too long). I was at Didcot a couple of weeks ago photographing the Steam Railmotor, which is very odd vehicle. Sounds like a locomotive, smells, like a loco but where's the loco? I was only able to get a couple of shots of the King due to where she had been placed. Coppercapped chimney and brass chamber-pot looked odd on a BLUE loco. I suppose it's what we get used to.
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you !

PP

Hornby have done 2 Kings in blue. Original mould as above and KGvi 2003 mould.. It is rumoured a super-detail one is likely within a few years so heres hoping for another blue one then. Also a streamlined one...??
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No such thing as bad weather, just a bad choice of clothing...........................CO-TR-P

Hi Cornish. The streamlined one? I hope not (purely a personal opinion) Do you think the streamlined King, and Castle, were serious streamlined ideas, or did someone in Swindon come up with this idea, in their tea-break, as a subtle mickey-take of the 'Streamline Era'? Another of those questions we'll never know the answer to!

PP

Hi Vespa, Just as well it wasn't a table-tennis ball because you'd need an extremely large table!! Seriously, I do wonder about the true reasons, simply because of the way the chimney, safety valve casing etc were done and some items were removed within a few months of being fitted. Even the 'streamlined' cab was removed from the 'Castle' although it remained on the 'King'. To me it was a very tongue-in-cheek effort.

PP

Delving into my box of links I find that on the Gloucester Transport History website it says that "Collett was told to produce a streamlined locomotive by the Board of Directors....Collett, not best pleased by this directive, apparently sent his office boy into Swindon to buy Plasticene......the CME then stuck bits of the modelling clay on his desktop metal model Castle and sent it to the Works with the order "build that!". http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/rail.htm">http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/rail.htm The rest of the website is up with the best on the Internet. http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/index.html">http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/index.html
-----------------------------
Get off the line Bobby.

Hi Poliss, Where do you find all of these links. If you lived in a house I would say you 'squirelled' them away in the garden, but in a flat it must be in the cupboard under the sink!! That site is absolutely incredible, with a section on Triang Trains and even a section about models of B17 bombers. The transfers in one photo have 'silvered' nicely. I've put this site in favourites to 'dip into', it's far too big for one session and it's too good to lose.

PP

Postman Prat said:Hi Ozex (excuse the familiarity but your full name is too long). I was at Didcot a couple of weeks ago photographing the Steam Railmotor, which is very odd vehicle. Sounds like a locomotive, smells, like a loco but where's the loco?

I was only able to get a couple of shots of the King due to where she had been placed. Coppercapped chimney and brass chamber-pot looked odd on a BLUE loco. I suppose it's what we get used to. Ozexpatriate said: A BR blue version of 6023 (as now preserved

but also representative of the early BR period) would be an interesting model. It might be something the shop at Didcot would want to stock and while it would not appeal to me personally, I imagine it would be a popular model.PP

PP,

I very much

would like to see the steam railmotor in person and would be very keen to see one in RTR 00. When No. 6023 was out visiting another railway it's safety valve cover accidentally met with a tree limb during transport and disappeared. Has it been recovered?

The latest update from forum administrators indicated that HTML tags will be stripped from posts - well, the quoted content is full of HTML tags that didn't get rendered. Let's see if the white spaces are here.

Archived