Railroad Crosti 9F (R3273)

2e0dtoeric

There is an existing thread on this subject, but I've gone back eight months and can't find it - so -

Now I've finally got a round tuit, I was going to fit a sound decoder into the (still in box) Crosti - but I can't! (not without major surgery) .

The socket for the chip is right at the front of the loco, over the cylinders, and there appears to be no space in the tender for the speaker! There are certainly no sound outlet orifices.

Stymied! It's a good job I hadn't spent the £100 on the decoder chip and speaker!

As a p.s. - you need a screwdriver to disconnect the tender from the loco, it's not the usual draw-bar and peg arrangement!

Hi 2erics........Quote from oct Hornby magazine..."There is ample space inside (boiler) to install a decoder and plenty of room for routing wires through to the tender to add a speaker to. The tender is a cavernous space and the body is a very simple clip to it's plastic chassis which includes provision for a 28mm round speaker"...hope this helps.  HB.

• 3 years later...

Did you ever fit the sound decoder? I was about to do the same to mine, in the tender there are the fittings for a 28 mm speaker, so I am wondering if it might be a good idea to move the DCC socket from the loco to the tender. I have got the 4 lead pin and socket, and I am electronics engineer so rewiring is not an issue, I just wondered if anyone else has done this job. The biggest issue is where to route the 4 wires through the loco. The only issue I can see is if the DCC chip is in the tender, adding cab lights and front lights is more of an issue.

The position of the front lamps on a steam loco indicate what type of train it is pulling, express passenger, stopping goods etc., so in reality need to be moved about accordingly. Also being oil lamps they are quite dim, not used as headlights. That is why they are very uncommon on model steam locos. Cab lights are very unusual although a firebox glow looks good.

There is an article in this months Hornby Magazine about fitting sound to a Crosti. He put two speakers in the tender. Decoder stays in the loco. 

No, Colin, the 9F never came out of the box, as I got side-tracked with other things, and the railway took the 'back seat' for a while. (Was it really four years?)  I began to dust it all off last week, then I can see what is working, and what needs a thorough clean and lube first.

Well I completed it. Fortunately my railroad version came with the DCC socket in the loco, but the tender had all the mouldings for mounting the DCC socket and speaker in it. It even had the "cut out" for the 4 pin connector. So I moved the DCC socket to the tender, wired up the 4 pin lead I bought off EBay (I bought spares to replace the broken ones on my other models), bought the 4 pin socket from Lendons. All the electronics are now in thew tender which is much easier to get to. 

Archived