Radio controlled

Go_West

Well today i did some testing and took some video of the radio control system that I have been design over the months.Just a few adjustments but overall i am very pleased with the way it works and at this time don't think it needs any changes or up dates.

So lets start with the transmitter.The joy sticks were removed and the Hornby type controls refitted in there place.These new controls were then set to operate with the radio receivers new interface boards.Here is a picture of the transmitter and the new controls theRest switch is there to turn OFF and ON the power to the Hornby power unit if shorts on the track happen therefore saving the need to run back to the house or shed to reset the power unit. the other 2 controls are the same as the Hornby control unit/media/tinymce_upload/e79db05832a59bbee202fea78962f755.jpg-resized.jpg

Now for the main controller this unit can be operated just like the Hornby controller or it can be set to work with the transmitter.If we look at it first as just a controller then looking at the front panel top left is the power ON switch next to that is the volt meter.below these is the heater 4 position switch, its first position is for Radio Control the next position is heater setting 1 followed by 2 and last of all 3.to the right of this is the regulator lever and the 2 green indicator lights as per Hornby. to the right once more is the regulator timer.This control can be set to operate the loco servo motor for short or long bursts making driving just a bit more easier I think. By turning the control knob you can increase the delay 0 - 3 seconds.

I will give the system a few more test runs and take some video of the complete system and hope to post it here

/media/tinymce_upload/f5115f1d4a1975e7dae5fbe9e92ca50f.jpg-resized.jpg

The tests i did today were in my garden with the engine and control system on a wall as i do not have a garden railway. So with the engine in steam i walked away from the controller down accross the lawn giving some distance of 250 ft and it all worked well I was able to stop and start the engine from this range but will give it a try and see just how far away it will operate the engine.    

/media/tinymce_upload/6f5dd5fda1ee39213852c7437db5efec.jpg-resized.jpg                                             

Thought you might like to see this very small motor it is 8mm x 8mm less the gear and have been giving a thought to a stepper motor to drive the regulator in the live steam engines dont know if Hornby ever thought of such an idea but will give it a go.

This is just one of many different size motors and electronic parts that I have sent off for so will keep you posted.

Archived