Hu.103 Acrylic - Solid as a rock! Twice!

I've bought two pot of Hu.103 in the not too distant past and both of them were set as solid as a rock when I opened them.  Both pots were sealed and neither had sat in my paint drawers for terribly long before they were opened.

Has anyone else had this problem with this colour or other Humbrol Acrylics?

The mix density does vary quite a lot, ranging from 'watery' to 'almost congealed, I have had 1 pot solid (Camouflage Grey 156). This seems to be mainly down to varied amounts of the carrier medium rather than the gloopy pigment in the bottom. It sounds like you have come across a bad batch (were they the old 'flip top' pots or the newer screw threaded lids - the old ones seem to be more prone to drying out and being on the thick side? Could be the seal is not as good for long term storage and the carrier evaporates more).

You could try taking them back to the shop and seeing if they will change them. Alternatively try and find a shop with newer stock.

I have bought online from a certain marketplace that rhymes with Sea Play, and have experienced this very phenomenon. Judicial application of thinner/ water and agitated..uh.. agitation and stirring sorted it out :). Don't know if it would work in every case, it did for me, but then I brush paint and have no idea what effect this method would have on airbrushed coats. Just sayin' 

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard the suggestion you put a scrap of lead in your paint pot when purchased , fine if you don't lick the brush , and put the paint storage box in your car every time you go on a long drive . Apparantly it works better than shaking the pot , and makes less noise than the kids .

Archived