Live Steam in action

Huwsie

Hi

how many engines do you have? I think the FS is the best engineered and the best looking model Hornby made.

I've got the FS and the original Mallard. The Mallard has been a bit of a low-flying duck (pardon the pun) since I had it, needing constant attention, but as you say that FS runs like a dream. Wish I had two controllers to be honest to run both tracks. 

At the other end of the layout is a tunnel which I've built as enclosed, so the train actually runs through a tube rather than into an open space. This creates the effect of lingering steam when the train exits. So realistic on cold days.

What a great idea I have a tunnel so might try that some day but as you say on a cold day with the central heating off they look great running with the steam puffing from the chimney. Such a shame Hornby never made a few more of these engineering maval They got the basic design so right with the FS and that chassis would have fitted many bodies of the 4-6-2 loco's.

What a great idea I have a tunnel so might try that some day but as you say on a cold day with the central heating off they look great running with the steam puffing from the chimney. Such a shame Hornby never made a few more of these engineering maval They got the basic design so right with the FS and that chassis would have fitted many bodies of the 4-6-2 loco's.

/media/tinymce_upload/5b8d1ced351568998fa61620c5ac3de6.JPG

And here's that same train thundering across the unfinished viaduct and into that said tunnel.

Thanks Roger and Gowest.

I started my own business for which I had to rent a warehouse. Into the warehouse I had to build office spaces, and while building office space I had an idea... and I included this 'train room'. Trouble is, with this train room right next to my office, you can imagine how much work gets done on some days! In fact, I sometimes have to lock myself out of the train room until my work day is over...  It makes some great conversations though when people visit my company premises.

Great idea Huwsie.

I can imagine a mezzanine deck over the office in a warehouse for the layout and the secretary saying to a customer on the phone - 'the boss is up in the cloud at present running his railway business, can I get him to call you back'.

People have the same problem working from home - I'll just pop into the garden and do a bit of dead-heading while that spreadsheet prints. 'Oops where has the day gone'. Call the customer and say - 'Sorry I did get back to you, but our computers are down - not our fault - it was the internet connection, blah, blah'.

I know what you mean a few days back I had to call the doctor out one night for my poor wife when he saw the train layout I think he would have spent more time on trains and less on wife?

When I moved to Cyprus from Dubai, I shipped all my belongings in a sea container. In Dubai I had carefully built the layout in sections that could be individually slid into one large shipping crate, because ultimately a move was always on the cards. Anyway - Container arrives outside my house here in Cyprus, Customs guy comes, verifies the seal and removes it, then unloading takes placin in his presence. It was all going sort of as usual until this large white crate comes out of the container.... this gets his his attention of course... you can see his mind racing, and he asks what's in there.. I said it's difficult to explain, (due to the language barrier) you'll just need to open it and see. He opens this crate and stands there aghast... such was his intrigue with the layout that we could have unloaded literally anything out of that container from that point onwards - which reminds me really because I promised to call him once the layout was operational - he wanted to bring his grandson! - it was all kind oif funny at the time, how his attitude went from intrigue when he saw the crate to absolute delight once he saw inside it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived