'NEW' Aston Martin DB5???

roy_fitzsimmonds

I do note the wording 'This newly tooled Airfix Starter Set is ideal for beginners or as a gift, containing everything that you need to build the kit.' Unfortunately the description then goes on 'Please note image displayed is solely a representation of the finished kit.' That to me confuses the issue. Is it a new kit, or an awful kit being portrayed as this shiny new mould? I think the point being is that with the beautiful picture it's misrepresenting the fact it could be the awful 50+ year old kit.

So I think roy_fitzsimmons is rightly seeking clarification - is it a new kit, or that from the 1960s?

No, its not that hard to do homework, all of us here have access to the net, but if you were good enough to take the time to post the above, can I ask why you couldn't have just said 'yes it's a new tool' or 'no, it's the old kit'?

It is a little unclear as to what has changed, if anything! based on the various comments. I guess the only way to be sure is for some kind soul to lay out the "old" and the "new" sprues alongside each other and compare the two. If Airfix have genuinely re-tooled using some different masters then all credit to them, although you'd have thought they might have made more of a splash about it. If it is a case of replacing worn out tools with new ones, but it all boils down to the same awkward fit and detail, then it would be nice to have this made clearer. 

This kit need more than replacing worn out mouls with new one, but the expression "This newly tooled Airfix Starter Set is ideal..." don't mean is a new kit as mention just  new tools. Regardless of new tools and better moulding quallity, the kit isn't as good as it should be according with today standards. Airfix could improve the kit just by replacing the old wheels with new ones, while keeping the remaining parts. When I look to this kit, and I own one, the wheels seems to me the worst part.

Roy, if you bothered to click on the link I provided you would see that its the 1967 tool, and that answers your question.

For pity's sake, why not just answer it for him/us? Why didn't you just say 'it's the 1967 tool' right from the start, why?

Well, my question was answered albeit not particularly politely.

So Airfix - WHY advertise it as 'New for 2016'.

It isn't new.

It seems to me to be sheer word - chicanery on the part of Airfix.

When a product is advertised as new, it's quite reasonable to assume the CONTENTS is new, not just the packaging!

Well, we can keep hoping that Airfix will release some proper new cars at some point.

The Jaguar XKR and Aston DBR9 were a nice bright spot in the past few years.

Surely they could do it again?

Well, we can keep hoping that Airfix will release some proper new cars at some point.

So the Fiesta and Mini were no good? The bottom line is in how many they sell. If retailers keep ordering (and presumably selling) the old DB5 kit, that's what Airfix will keep manufacturing. If the new kits are not selling particularly well you can kiss goodbye the possibility of new releases.

Only "New tool" means is a really new product. Just "New" usually means the return of a old model, most likely included in a new set. The expression "New for XXXX", where XXXX is the year, is just the return of old and out of productions models. This is plain Airfixish language, known and spoke for several decades :)

So the Fiesta and Mini were no good? The bottom line is in how many they sell. If retailers keep ordering (and presumably selling) the old DB5 kit, that's what Airfix will keep manufacturing. If the new kits are not selling particularly well you can kiss goodbye the possibility of new releases.

Yes, they will aim to sell what is selling. I get that. Trouble is that other kit makers (and I don't know how big they are vis a vis Hornby) ARE making and selling brilliant car kits; Revell, Heller, Tamiya, Aoshima and others. I doubt these other companies do what they do out of charitable concern!

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble is that other kit makers (and I don't know how big they are vis a vis Hornby) ARE making and selling brilliant car kits; Revell, Heller, Tamiya, Aoshima and others. I doubt these other companies do what they do out of charitable concern!

As I see it Airfix are almost entirely focused on their core genre, attempting to revive other, or introduce new genres is probably considered as either too much of a distraction, or beyond their current R & D resources. You quote other kit manufacturers doing cars and two things strike me. In the first it means there's quite a bit of competition to break through, secondly where's the problem? You don't have enough car kits to choose from?

Trouble is that other kit makers (and I don't know how big they are vis a vis Hornby) ARE making and selling brilliant car kits; Revell, Heller, Tamiya, Aoshima and others. I doubt these other companies do what they do out of charitable concern!

As I see it Airfix are almost entirely focused on their core genre, attempting to revive other, or introduce new genres is probably considered as either too much of a distraction, or beyond their current R & D resources. You quote other kit manufacturers doing cars and two things strike me. In the first it means there's quite a bit of competition to break through, secondly where's the problem? You don't have enough car kits to choose from?

Fair points all, but to address your last question - there are lots of car kits, of course, but it would be nice to see some with a more British focus, which is where Airfix might conceivably have a role (and yes, that is just my point of view before Mr Grumpy pops up). The likes of Aoshima tend to focus on what are to western eyes fairly obscure seeming Japanese automotive subjects (although they have bravely dabbled in the MG and Triumph sports car fields). Revell have modelled the classic Mini, Blower Bentley, London Taxi and Jaguar E Type, whilst Tamiya have also modelled the classic Mini and various Lotuses. The duplication of such subjects as Mini and Porsche 911 probably reflects the same kind of conservatism that I guess prompts rival kit makers to plump for the same commercially attractive aircraft. Airfix can doubtless be applauded for choosing some unusual choices of aircraft in that context. So on the car front, wouldn't it be nice to see somebody making some attractive new kits... Such subjects as the Aston Martin DB5 (1:24 with chrome trim etc), maybe the MGB (the real thing sold very well in the USA) and some more esoteric subjects like the Mini Countryman, Morris Minor (van, saloon, Convertible, Traveller) and some racing subjects would be great. The French Heller company is good at offering French car subjects, even the Citroen 2CV and Renault 4. Maybe somebody has done the sums, and there isn't enough of a market for what I am suggesting, but it seems worth asking the question...

• 3 weeks later...

I hear that the Aston Martin is currently no. 2 in the Airfix best seller list. Regardless how good or bad a product it may be, sales are everything in manufacturing and the question why re-release it must surely be answered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought one recently and the box - like that of the DH Comet I got recently - clearly has a note on the back saying "Kit design and mould copyright 1967". This is my first car kit but luckily I have loads of aircraft experience under my belt. By the time I finish it the kit will be in its 50th anniversary and Airfix is bound to announce a replacement!

Were I a first-timer, though, I'd be put off by the flash and mould lines alone. It hasn't aged well. The tyres are awful too.

Archived