Sticky Couplings

Nick_

I've bought a couple of packs of R8099 narrow couplings so I could replace the wide couplings on some of my Hornby wagons which have the non-NEM coupling fixing but I'm finding that the coupling bar doesn't move up and down freely. So as you push two wagons together the bar rises but doesn't fall again so the wagons don't couple. I tried a drop of oil on the pivot but that made no difference. Has anybody else tried these and had the same problem, any suggestions on how to make the coupling bar work freely. 

poliss, WTD - problem now solved with a combination of Greas-em graphite powder and moving the hook up and down quickly for about 30 secs. Thanks for your suggestions.

The hook is metal and hingebar is plastic. I suspect the hinge bar is slightly rough when new and moving the hook up and down along with the graphite polishes the plasitc to a smooth fininsh.

poliss, WTD - problem now solved with a combination of Greas-em graphite powder and moving the hook up and down quickly for about 30 secs. Thanks for your suggestions.

The hook is metal and hingebar is plastic. I suspect the hinge bar is slightly rough when new and moving the hook up and down along with the graphite polishes the plasitc to a smooth fininsh.

Hi Nick,

As I see you are a fellow GWR modeller, have you tried these narrow couplings on the Hornby/Airfix GWR Toads yet? Initially I had hoped to convert all my Airfix, Dapol (and Hornby exDapol) stock but encountered problems partiularly with the toads, a few of the 7 planks and 21T Felix Pole steel mineral wagons (Glenhaffod, GW Loco etc.) but oddly not all. So I would recommend doing a lot of test shunting before nailing your colours to the mast (PS I use PECO track)

I think part of the problem was that the coupling does not swing from side to side as freely as the nem pockets which causes the wagons to derail on curves or points when being pushed.

This problem together with me having several locos and coaches with moulded wide couplings  lead me to convert the other way (wide and intermediate couplings).

I'm also not sure how these narrow couplings will work between coaches if they offer a closer coupling. I know my GW Centenaries don't like the intermediate couplings becuse they couple just tht little bit closer than the wide. The result is that the corridoor connections foul and cause derailments when being pushed around curves or when being pulled down hill if the couplings go slack.

However, as I tend to have fixed coach rakes, I may try using my now spare narrow couplings within my Centenary rake as they do look less obvious.

As a result I would be very interested to know how you get on with your stock.

@81F

I have a couple of GWR Toads and (so far) I've not had any de-railment problems with them, however I'll keep you posted as i do more shunting...

So far I've converted about 50% of my goods stock from the wide couplings to the narrow couplings and again so far no isues, but as it's still early days, thanks for the warning.

All of my Locos have NEM pockets so I can chose which tension lock coupling I use (Wide, Medium or Narrow).

I too tend to use fixed rakes of coaches and on my Collett coaches I'm using the close couplings that are supplied with them (spares pack is R8220). I've not had any derailing problems with them and they do look better being a smaller, fixed distance apart.

Track-wise I use peco 100 streamline points and my minimum radius curves equate to R3 in the siding and on the branchline and R4 on the main line. It is only on the main line that I allow any loco to exceed 35mph

Archived