What delights will we get next!?

LCDR

The Engine Shed team have been pulling rabbits out if the hat over the last few editions so I am sitting quivering with anticipation about what they will produce next. With Warley Show rapidly approaching where traditionally new items appear and hints are given about future developments by a number of producers I wonder what Hornby will surprise us with.

Exciting isn't it!?

Hornby said their next clue would be sneaky! From their "Lead Researcher" Paul Isles' twitter handle...

https://twitter.com/locationsphotos/status/794237537967603714

Looks like a J36, funny as most comments on facebook and many on other online forums were actually wishing for a Class 86, Class 87 or Class 91! Quite a few disappointed, though I'm sure many will be happy!

The beauty of the old X04 was that it fitted everything apart from the motor bogies. I  do accept that its days are over (apart from in the LC&DR household).

A servicable motor would be useful, but alternatively an inexpensive 'drop in' replacable motor that fits all models ,  available as a advertised spare part and remains in production indefinately. .

The annoying thing is that very little in life is repairable nowadays.  A computer that costs a great deal of money after about three years is obsolete, and the new software needed to run it forces you to upgrade to a larger capacity model, then you discover that the peripherals will not work with the software.  So you end up having to buy a new printer, and scanner etc. Even if you don't the ribbon or ink cartridges are no longer available. And so it goes on.   I had a problem a few years ago with Microsoft Word refusing to open documents prepared on an earlier version.

Now I suppose there are some whizz kids that can write a little programme or make  little gizmno that gets these things to talk to each other, but for me I have better things to do with my time. When I pay a fortune for something I expect it to (a) last, and (b) continue to work as intended.

And it doesn't stop with computers, Most houshold appliances only last four years and then as soon as you ask the shop if it can be fixed all you get is a sharp intake of breath through clenched teeth!

Who darns socks or sews buttons on shirts any more?

We grumble about pollution but the throw away society we live in must be the ultimate in waste  making! I took some old stuff to the tip the other day. The biggest bin was the one for electrical equipment.

Ah well - got that one off my chest!

Archived