Problems since 1.43 elite update

Dazzler down under

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has experienced problems since the last update to the elite. I'm having huge dramas, the screen is sometimes showing symbols rather then names and numbers, and when I change locos the address shows 0000 even though I enter digits for my loco Then when I press the control knob it selects the loco but you can't see the address. im also getting random symbols pop up and stuff up the screen. Turning off power fixes the issues for a short time but it ends up going back to the symbols after a few minutes of running trains, this is why I've had problems reading and writing cvs because I'll I've got is symbols, i thought it was me but it's the elite playing funny buggers. Anyone else had these problems and can anyone recommend a fix?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a reload doesnt fix it then the problem may be the 'zebra strips' that transfer info to the Elite screen from its PCB. Getting at them isn't an easy job so lets see if the reload works first, then go from there.

Just in case the download was corrupt go fetch it again rather than reload the one you have on file.

Rob

In my experience (and as RAF mentioned in his last reply) junk characters appearing on a LCD screen is nearly always due to a break or intermittent connection in one or more data lines feeding the LCD screen. Sometimes applying finger pressure to a certain screen location makes the characters appear normally, only to be corrupted again when the finger pressure is removed.

RAF has experience of correcting these Elite screen display issues, so let him take the lead on this and offer you his advice based upon actual practical experience. As he has already said, it would involve a strip down of relatively delicate and easily damaged components. If the Elite is still under warranty, it is not worth the risk of trying to repair it yourself.

@Daz

I would add that it would be fairly unusual for a corrupt firmware update file to load correctly. You would be more likely to see the FAIL notification, but reloading the firmware is no big deal so worth a try.

Next thing as noted above is if it is still under warranty,then take it/send it back.

In general if the update file has loaded then the Elite will work, even if the screen is corrupt. so you could confirm that for us. Chris's comment about pressure on the screen would tend to prove the screen to PCB interface is the problem. The screen is fairly robust and if it was damaged you would see rainbow smearing of the liquid crystal and nothing much would show at all.

Here is a tip to prove all the characters on the screen work. Power off the Elite then PRess and hold the LOCO button as you power it back on. When you see Hornby on screen release the LOCO button and watch. All the screen characters will show then it will clear to the message EE Pass (or Fail). Try that and if possible take a picture at the same time and post it here for us.

If the Elite is out of warranty and you want an idea of what is involved in taking the Elite apart to get at the screen then have a look at the article about installing a backlight to the Elite, which you can find by clicking on the live link in my signature below, then clicking on the Menu button for Articles and then on the Backlight article. Come back with any questions you may have.

Rob

Thanks guys I will try reloading again when I get home. I've had it for 3 years so no warranty, I just can't figure out why after 3 years with no issue  it does this now, talk about doing my head in. The screen is fine, no rainbow ect, the elite has sat in the same spot since forever and never been dropped or moved ever. It's only since the update I've been having these problems

Picture of the corruption if you can please, then reload, another picture, then try Loco button powerup, picture and take it from there.

Forgot to mention after the Loco button test you have to power down then do a normal start to return to service.

Rob

Guys, im gonna have to take a break for a bit, im not a happy camper at the moment, ive fired up the layout and now im getting no response from my clive of india again, same problem as last time, i can programe it to another address and it works ok but the current address has shut up shop, thats 2 addresses that have shut up shop with this loco now, i know a reset will fix them but im annoyed that it keeps happening when it shouldnt. My list of gripes with this control system is growing by the day, the bin is looking like the best option.

Daz

I'm not familiar with this model but was it dcc fitted from new as early non NMRA compliant Hornby decoders (R8215) factory fitted were renowned for losing their address at the drop of a hat.

This can happen if the decoder misinterprets the DCC signal and thinks it has to enter programming mode then ends up doing a reset on itself. The cure here is to fit a later NMRA compliant decoder such as R8249.

Or is it another make decoder....

It's the Clive of India R2992XS, a fairly new model, one of the last sound locos before they started the tts I think, not sure what decoder it is but it's the original one that came with the loco.

im feeling a little deflated at the moment, my new Britannia arrived today, been waiting 3 weeks for it and I don't even feel like taking it out of the box.

Daz an XS model is factory sound fitted with either an ESU v3.5 or v4.0 21 pin decoder so should not be susceptable to the problems I spoke about. Please ignore them for this problem. 

Chris has ESU sound so he may be able to comment further on the loss of addressing matter.

Rob

This is an eg of what the elite is doing, from this pic anyone with an elite will notice there's a digit missing it should have 4 digits rather then 3, the address I'm trying to call up is 0010 but the screen show 001. It goes thru this stage then progresses to a fully jumbled state after a few extra minutes. Will post more pics and implement what's been suggested when I get my mojo back, maybe later tonight. Thanks for your help so far RAF/media/tinymce_upload/4eafe917ad42db9c2d6797153562156a.JPG

RAF is correct. I have some Hornby XS models and can confirm that 'all' XS models from Hornby, have factory fitted ESU Loksound 21 pin decoders, either V3.5 or V4. As a general 'rule of thumb' the larger models tend to have the V4 decoder. All my other models are Bachmann with 21 pin ESU Loksound V4. Thus my whole fleet use ESU Loksound. All but one are V4.

I use the Elite with RM combination. I have never ever had any loco loss of configuration issues of the type described in this thread**. Random sporadic loss of decoder configuration is often associated with transient shorts that occur on the track from time to time. My own layout is protected from these by the addition of RC filters on my DCC BUS wiring.

Want more info on RC filters, click here.

Note** I did have a transient short induced loss of configuration on one my Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoders, that once it happened, the same decoder kept on losing configuration (ended up replacing it in the end as it became too unreliable). This resulted in me fitting RC filters (2015). Never had a single problem since.

It seems to me, that once a particular decoder has become a victim of 'short induced' configuration corruption, it seems to become weakened and susceptible to it happening again at the slightest provocation.

Transient shorts can be ones that are not severe enough to trip the controller and may go unnoticed. If your ears are attuned to it (and background noise levels low) you can hear them as a brief short high pitched buzz.

PS - If you have any RLMs fitted, as I do, then you can hear them on a regular basis. A RLM uses the detection of a 'short' to initiate its switching function. The RLM switches faster than the DCC controller, thus the controller doesn't trip out first.

Corrupted configurations can cause all sorts of strange effects. When my R8247 lost its address due to a short. Reading the address CV in RM showed in some cases that the address had become a negative value. Something that should be impossible.

I only suggest the 'short' scenario as one possible cause. Your issue may have a completely unrelated cause.

PS - I don't use the Hornby RLM, mine (two) are TamValley brand.

Archived