DC solder vs clips

Potrail2378

Hi guys.

I'm getting back into the hobby and have gone DCC. As and when I buy (either new or second hand) locos which are 'DCC ready' I feel I should test them before converting them to DCC. Can I just solder a couple of wires to a spare piece of track and use an analogue DC Hornby controller to test the loco? I'm only asking because I've been told there's a capacitor in the Hornby power clip and was wondering why it should need a capacitor there. 

Thanks. 

The capacitor is there to stop intereference being broadcast to nearby electrical appliances When used on DC track. It isnt needed for DCC as this is taken care of by the decoder, so you could just snip it out of the DC clip if you want to use it, or as you suggest you can solder to the track.

Running DCC locos on DC is no problem if say you want to run them in, as long as DC running is enabled on your decoder - this is normally set as the default.

Rob

As has been said DCC on DC is no problem as long as DC running is enabled on the decoder.  The real problem is running DC locos on DCC, that is a definate no as the DCC signal etc can burn the motor out.

A simple DC test track for DC locos is a good idea, locos should be in good fettle and be good runners before conversion to DCC. DCC will show up every running fault.

Archived