Fixing Goods on Wagons

Castle-Man

After a long break I decided to buy a second hand set and set up a basic layout just to enjoy.  As a start I bought a R1037 GWR Mixed Traffic set.  Everything is complete and working.  I have a question though.  

The set contained two wagons with boxes resting on top of them.  However there seems to be no way of fixing the box contaner to the wagon.  The brown furniture one in particular barely stays on.  Is this normal?  The red DWS one sits a ittle better but there is really nothing to stop it falling off.  What do people normally do?.  I suppose that I could use glue or double sided tape but that seems a little final.  Surely there is supposed to be a fixing.  I even wondered if the trackside crane was linked to them being free but there again there is no where to hook the container either.

The only other issue I have is that I noticed that the body on the train is liable to come way from the motor ec.  Upon close inspection I can see that the tabs on the front are fine but the springy plastic bit on the motor body (sorry been a long time and forgotten the terminology) is stiff but also has a small crack where it bends back and forward.  There is no screw to keep the body in place just the plastic.  What glue would you recomend to glue the piece and stop it from breaking off or is a repair part available?

many thanks for any help and advice.

It is quite normal for the container to be a loose fit on the conflat wagon.  The crate on the lowmac should have come with a plastic clip that attaches to the wagon with an adhesive pad or double sided tape, however if the set is second hand this may be missing.

Strangely I found the original Airfix Lowmac (from which the Hornby model is developed) extremely hard to get the crate container off, and worse still to get the clip off as well, in those days it was glued on. I wanted to put a more realistic load on, comme-ca -

./media/tinymce_upload/d1b185c32bf874214dd4140368e07050.jpg

In real life the containers were fixed to the conflat wagon for travel by screw shackles  attached to rings on the corners of the container and along the the sides of the wagon. In 4mm scale there would be very difficult to represent robustly.

The type B and BD container was also loaded into 17 ft 6 in   5 and 6 plank open wagons occasionally when a Conflat wagon was not available.  The wagon sheet was used when the container roof leaked.

However containers were officially prohibited in three and one plank ordinary wagons.

/media/tinymce_upload/8270d8665d46224e1c0b94116366cddd.jpg

I bought some Tacki Wax.  So far unsure about it.  With the container on the conflat wagon there is very little surface to grip to.  It kind of stays in place on the tracck but it is not firm enough to take in and out of packaging between use.  The clip for the lowmac is indeed missing so I have tried Tacky Wax here as well.  Again it works up to a point.  It may be nice to be able to change a load on a wagon but I think I prefer the old Hornby Dublo trucks where everything was built and fixed down with ropes or straps or actually part of the tinfoil model.  For me I am happy with a model as it is.  

Archived