Hornby Part numbers for the same item?

Castle-Man

Sometimes you  can look at 2 historical parts which look identical.  However it seems to be impossible to trace the history to see if there are any differences or what the reason is.

As an example I recently ordered a couple of second hand GWR coaches the Brake and the Restaurant.  R458 and R457.  I was looking for a standard collet coach so though that the correct one would be R456 to get the same coloured roof and GWR symbol to match.  However when I was looking I discovered R429 which seemd to be identical.

I did some research and it seems that R429 GWR was 77-79.  While  R456 was 80-93.  

So how do you find if they are the same or one is better? Did the number just change because of where they were made or is there another logical reason?

Sugar*^%#  - I just typed a good long reply and when I posted it it vanished due to being logged out.

I refuse to try to remember what I wrote but I wish the forum would warn you it was logging you out after 10 minutes before it did so then at least you could copy the post or take preventative action.

RAF96 Agreed as you can not actually refresh the login until it has actually logged out.  Surely when you press the reply button it should be able to code things to give you the chance to log in and then to press reply again.  

If nothing else to send to the Admin to be posted as a guest would at least save the post.

Just clearing things so you do not even know what has happened is not good enough.

Hi Castle-Man,Checked Ramsay's guide for you and following noted.R429 was  GWR 6054,Button Crest.Plastic Finish,BR Bogies.

R456,Better model,still GWR 6054,Button Crest,but Paint Finish.No mention of BR Bogies so asume correct on this model.Both UK made.

Another which may be of interest is R4523 GWR,Button Crest, number 6135.Made ion China.This is Railroad version so would be relatively cheap.

Thanks new lad on the block.  That sounds a very handy Guide that you have there where did you get it?

Thanks for identifyng the difference.  Had a look at some R4523 and funnily they tend to be just as dear even though they are a much cheaper coach.  May be because they are a current model and therefore in new condition.

The downside with the R4523 is that as far as I can see from pictures there are no seats etc. inside.  The other two appear to be fairly well finished inside.  

Hi, Ramsay's guide is readily available at most good model shops.The latest issue is number 9.There is a rumor that they may be an updated version Late this year to early next year. Ramsay seem to bring a new issue out ever 2 or so years.Unfortunately not cheap as current one comes in two volumes and is approx £30.May be able to find it cheapr on a well known auction site.

Castle-man,

I'm pretty sure the newer Railroad version does have seats.  Although you may not be able to see seats in photos online, the photos show the internal corridor walls/openings, and these are a one piece moulding with the seats.

Sugar*^%#  - I just typed a good long reply and when I posted it it vanished due to being logged out.

Who's moderating the moderator?

Rules for Posting:

• No profanity or foul language. This includes using stars (*) or other characters instead of letters. Any un-called for language will be removed and repeated offences will be punished.

Naughty Naughty!

Members have been complaining about this for what seems like forever.

Why don't you write your post in MS Word, Notebook, Notepad or even just as an email message then just copy and paste it into the forum.

Problem solved

Unfortunately the catalogue numbers were not always 100% consistent. although nowadays since they went into 4 numbers (R1000 upwards) they seem to be much better with changes of running number for example being given a letter suffix rather than a completely new number.

The Ramsey guide is certainly a very useful publication but inevitably will be out of date on the day it is published. It is privately produced (it isn't sponsored by any manufacturer although they all advertise in it) but lives in the Warner's stable, who publish British Railways Modelling magazine. The original compiler Pat Hammond is a well respected authority on model railway collecting and there is a team of experts who keep it up to date. Despite its occasional faults it is the best you can get.

Bachmann put a list of their earlier discontinued models on their website prior to 2012, but Hornby doesn't do this which I feel is a bit of a pity.

Most of my Collett 57' coaches were either from sets or bought from the main range before the new highly detailed versionscame in. These seem indistinguishable from the two Railroad ones I have. The same can be said of the resturant cars.

My only worry is that I might have more of this type of resturant car than the GWR ever built!

Archived