Airfix Praire Tank front Jockey wheels

Castle-Man

Just running my trains through the new layout to check things out.  I have an issue with the Airfix large Prairie tank.  The front small jockeywheel pair is inclined to jump the points leading of course to problems.

I have tried removing them and replaced the screw to ensure that the chassis stays together.  With them removed the loco runs around the oval and crosses the points without problem. There are two things that I am wondering about.  The first is the Back to Back.   This could well be part of the problem.  What worries me here is that is easy to change just by pushing the wheels together between thumb and finger or by turning one wheel while pulling it outwards.  Should the wheels really be that loose on the shaft?

The second is the spring on the jockey.  There is a piece of what may be phospher bronze on the jockey which I assume is to sping it down to keep in contact with the rails.  This looks as if it has seen better days with evidence of some bends and possibly the end broken off.  Does anyone have a picture of how it should look when properly fitted where it lays on the chassis etc. and any general guidance on how much downward pressure it should be applying?   Would a small weight do a better job?

I suspect that the answer is a mixture of both of these things.  I also wonder if I would be better of looking for another jockey complete with correct wheels?   Is it available as an old  spare or just second hand?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The airfix front wheel is horrible, If I remember correctly it has a solid plastic centre. Yout could replace it with a Romford or a newer hornby version which not only would be tighter but look better. Sadly I dear not take my Airfix one apart to take a photo of the spring as the screws are on their last legs (or should I say threads) so any attempt would result in a trip to the scrap yard. -  A shame really as it is my oldest working loco.

Thanks Chrissaf I have placed an order so will see if they come up with the stock! 

Looking at the one that is on there I do not think that it is the original Airfix one as it does have a metal axel however as the current one simply does not allow the loco to be run when fitted I figure that there is nothing to loose by starting with a new one given that it is not exactly an expensive part.

Our Mainly Airfix Prairie Tank (Made from parts!).

The front Pony Truck is the Hornby One...The Rear is still the solid Airfix (GMR) one...

The couplings are the Hornby R.8099 Coupling Assemblies....a direct replacement for Airfix (GMR), Ex Airfix Mainline, and Dapol models....including those now made by Hornby...

/media/tinymce_upload/d4600bfd08e19aa468dfcf5ec8660213.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/928fe4f584a7b9056c8358397ab71a86.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f7923a15bb495172049b31124bef9879.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/5bf5b60ef1254c3dbd48041800cbfedf.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/fc2b341933bdea0d968d5d2c58ae24e9.jpg

Unfortunately the spigot in the smoke box that takes the front body fixing screw had split and lost a part. I stuck it back together as best I could, sleeved it and replaced the screw with a small bolt (possibly8BA. I know I could replace the body but I did a lot of work on it to make it into a 41XX with the recess inthe rear bunker for the lamp

Just noticed that I may have lost my sand pipes as well! Thankfully I have some spares samd boxes from a DAPOL auto tank chassis with some somewhere.

Changing the front and back wheels for Romfords certainly make a difference

81F I have been thinking about maybe replacing all of the wheels with Romfords.  Picked up a couple of spare chassis which has enbabled me to better enderstand the way it is all fixed together.  Having had the spares apart it seems that re-wheeling would be fairly straighforward the only bit of extra work being the need to detatch and re-solder the wire from the pickups to the brush to gain access.  Actually I may even cut the wire and then refit a longer piece in the middle and shrinkwrap the joint.  (Why didn't the just fit a connector to make it easy?)

Another reason for re-wheeling is that I have noticed that the original metal tyres have a tendancy to come away from the plastic centre causing wobble and they move far too easily in and out on the axle.  Obviouse on the spares.   

I have looked for Romford wheels but not sure where to get them and how to know the correct size especially for the from and back bogie/jocky.  Obviously using the wrong search term.  

Lastly two chassis have the middle wheels flat and one has all all 3 normal drive wheels were there some with one setup and some with the other?

Really learning a lot by playing around with something that at the moment is for spares.  

Thanks that helped although it has given me pause  Looks like the full set at 2013 prices was around £50.  Sure they are excellent but that is a lot to spend on a set of wheels.  Really whether they look more accurate to scale I will not even notice.  Just want wheel that will run well including through points and not need adjusting.  From what I hear they should do that but that is more than a good condition complete Praire is worth.  Decisions!  

Are there any other alternatives that are sensibly priced?

There was an article in on of the Model railway Constructor Magazines near to when the original Airfix model came out which detailed how to fit Romford wheels. Not sure but it might have been to convert it to EM but I would suspect the principle would be similar in 00.

Howevewr, the front and back wheels that I changed were only the pony truck wheels - I wimped out of doing the drivers as this seemed too much like hard work. Besides the originals looked better than the Triang Hornby ones on my other locos of the time.

I believe the diameters should be 3'2 for the front 5'8" for the drivers and 3'8" for the trailing wheels. that would equate to roughly 12mm for the leading pony  and 14mm for the trailing pony. However, I would suggest referring to photos of the real thing to get the number of spokes right as i cannot guarantee that mine are correct.

Archived