Electrotren Wishlist

ellocoloco

Provided Hornby continue producing international models, I thought it would be interesting to see what gaps in the range need filled first……….

As my interests are in era V Renfe here are a couple of things ‘needed’ for my cupboard……

EMD SW1001 Renfe type 310 BoBo (Could also be sold in slightly modified form by Rivarossi in the US/Canadian/Mexican and other versions)

ARCO 2000 series coaches

Accurate Private Contractor Hopper wagons – Electrotren have released a number of contractors ALCos but have nothing to go with them. (The Roco hoppers that have been released are DB repaints leaving the Mabar T170/171 models the only really suitable choice to accompany them.)

A loco, a coach and a wagon.  Fingers crossed for 2018!

Hi Bill,

Whilst it is correct to say that Spain is one of the smaller national markets for our hobby, there are a number of factors that would give me hope that Hornby will continue to invest in new tooling once they get their financial house in order. After all, in Spain, RENFE models are the most popular just as in France, SNCF models are the most popular, in Italy, FS models are the most popular etc.

Hornby remain the dominant player in the HO Spanish market, a position the have not held in the UK OO market since the late 1980s. In Germany, globally the largest market, they remain a niche player in HO scale. In France, Jouef competes against much larger newcomers, as do Rivarossi and Lima in Italy as well as the European stretch of Roco. With the possible exception of Australia/NZ, Hornby’s OO models remain an irrelevance outside of the UK, or with expatriate UK modellers. Thus, the small Spanish market relies very much on Hornby, which I hope is recognised by the company.

I myself would not bet on Hornby trading in its current form in 12 months time, which would be a great shame as the models they have recently commissioned in China are first class. In the meantime, I will keep my fingers crossed and add to my wishlist the class 309 shunter…………It’s a wishlist after all, and, its only 4½ months until the 2018 catalogue will be available – or not!

Anyone else looking for an Iberian model……………..?

I also would not be surprised if there are no International brand catalogues for 2018 maybe a supplement for a small number of new introductions. Am not sure who you refer to in the French market as "larger " - the other major players LS & REE are very much one man bands and certainly do not have the same resources as Hornby.  We will have to wait and see..

Poor phrasing on my part Bill. 

I had ment the new comers in the French market were larger than the newer players in the Spanish scene - Mabar, K Train, and the defunct (?) Ibertren and Ferromodel. Not larger than Jouef itself. Plus there are larger French ranges from Roco, Fleischmann and Trix than are offered to Spain. Hence Jouef's market share is smaller than that of Electrotren in their respective home markets.

Lets hope Hornby appreciate what they have and look after it.....

Archived