Problem with ARC Pro and curved lane changers

Gene.Parmesan

hello to all sorry my English but I'm Italian (Sardinia). I wonder if you change the track as DR_C says how will the track with 6 cars go? then it will be useless to put the second power supply and I think it will be impossible to play with more than 4 machines because it is powered only one track is this right?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, yes, this option C will be fine for up to the maximum number of cars i.e. 6.

This is not a problem because inside the ARC PRO the exact same drive circuit powers both lanes anyway (it’s just that the signal polarities have reversed for other reasons). For 4 or more cars you need two standard PSUs to be plugged in (as per Scalextric instructions).

Just to clarify a point of detail, way back when I first proposed option C, what I had in mind was exactly as per Blagard-01’s above diagram. However more recently I have been proposing an alternative way to implement Option C to achieve an identical ’electrical‘ effect - by simply cross wiring the rails of a single lane at the point where the dead spot is formed. I show this as the point marked X in my earier rough ‘tty‘ diagrams. This keeps the modification effort to one lane only. I know an updated diagram is required to add further clarity and I hope to share this tomorrow along with some nice photos the little red mini in action on curved lane changers!

I hope this helps...

C

So Dr_C the diagram below will also work DIGITAL ONLY without any of the limitations. For Analogue when the modified quarters are replaced all limitations on layout apply.

Note that the wiring to cross the dead spots is not the same on each quarter, one must be the mirror reversal of the other.

/media/tinymce_upload/9f4a42ff2e3b2c89715d22e7d69c22b8.jpg

DIGITAL MODE

Yes... with above two modified track pieces in place the ARC PRO performs in full DIGITAL mode as per the C7042 APB. All curved lane changers can remain in play whether modified or not!

ANALOG MODE

Then, with two modified track pieces swapped out for standard track, the ARC PRO performs in ANALOG mode as per the C7042 APB (except a fine point of detail that there is no function in the ARC PRO to reverse the direction of travel). Howver, in this mode curved lane changers may only be kept in play if they have at least been snipped using the standard digital to analog mod. This is precisely the same requirement when using curved lane changers with the C7042 APB in analog mode.

I can confirm all of the above (I.e. Both digital and analog modes) have been tested at track level and also using a digital multimeter. It's great to see curved lane changers working perfectly with my shinny new ARC PRO. All good!

C

Modification front and back then shown in use with the ARC PRO... in FULL digital mode of course!!! :-)

/media/tinymce_upload/a9b08d1d2a0b5e41ee0452b7c72469e4.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/3586ea87007db668f81d2bad0185b5cf.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/d16f1023e6457725ebee525183b399a6.JPG

wow those pictures make the 4 cut mod look like its only on top side of the rails

perhaps it should be labeled that cut location is based on bottom of the rail to track connection to allow replacement of the rail into the top of the track

Please see diagram which clarifies how the rails are cut in two places to create a dead zone. A single cut would be unsafe and would drive the base into overload each time the brushes traverse the single gap. Using the two cuts approach, refitting the centre section is optional but please ensure there is at least a 1mm separation between the centre piece of rail and the sections either side.

/media/tinymce_upload/18dacf7aa0bbf8e501d17a5ccd93328e.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm... the option C approach to making curved lane changers compatible with ARC PRO (as described earlier in this thread) worked perfectly when endurance tested on boxing day!!! And more generally the ARC PRO performed flawlessly... four friendly, but slightly competitive, family members raced with great excitement while the livingroom TV displayed the ARC app screen (thanks to apple TV screen mirroring). This is amazing technology... and real fun to use!

Two photos cited as evidence...

/media/tinymce_upload/54d89165186e79acf8340ac60170d28a.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/28063f02447ce24fb0a48c5e3c66d333.JPG

So Dr_C the diagram below will also work DIGITAL ONLY without any of the limitations. For Analogue when the modified quarters are replaced all limitations on layout apply.

Note that the wiring to cross the dead spots is not the same on each quarter, one must be the mirror reversal of the other.

/media/tinymce_upload/9f4a42ff2e3b2c89715d22e7d69c22b8.jpg

Sorry I need some clarification .....

This image suggets 2 pieces of track are needed with the cuts and cross wired.

Dr_C only seems to be talking about 1 track.

Sure its me not understanding but if someone could just clarify please.

Thanks

Hi - Blaggards image suggests 2 pieces of track are needed but Dr_C seems to refer to only 1 piece of track needs cutting.

Sure its me but could someone just clarify please.

Thanks

Definately two pieces of track and look carefully as the wiring is mirrored so each one is different. once the wiring is done they can be fitted either way around but the important thing is the top rail is diverted to the bottom rail then through the powerbase and then back up again. The bottom rail ir the reverseof course.

Hi barryhi33 and Blagard-01,

Sorry it has gotten a bit confusing as to what option C should look like... perhaps too many discussion points have become interwoven In a single thread.

So in summary...

Option C requires...

1/ Modification of TWO track pieces as per blagard-01’s diagram in above post of 2/1/18.

2/ The TWO modified pieces each require a single 10-15mm dead zone and cross-wiring of jumpers as also shown in the 2/1/18 diagram (thanks to blagard for creating the diagram - much appreciated!).

3/ Once the cross-wiring of jumpers has been carried out the TWO modified track pieces will be electrically IDENTICAL.

4/ For full SSD DIGITAL capabilities INSERT the modified pieces at EACH side of the ARC PRO making sure the dead zones are in the SAME lane which can be either lane 1 or lane 2. Enjoy full digital including 2-into-1 chicanes and curved lane changers.

5/ For full ANALOG capabilities REMOVE the modified pieces and replace with standard track pieces. In this mode you have full analog capabilities as per the APB C7042. The two lanes must of course be kept electrically separated i.e. no 2-into-1 chicanes that bridge between primary lanes 1 and 2, and any curved lane changers require to have the simple digital-to-analog mod. This is exactly per the requirements of the APB when in analog mode.

A further point of detail concerning option C... if you want to keep the dead zones clear of the start grid thena few standard passive track pieces can be placed in-between the ARC PRO and the modified track. Technically I did this in two photos I posted on 31/12/17. You will see the dead zone just behind the red ferrari. The other dead zone is on the left lane between the ARC PRO and the bridge. This is helpful in keeping the dead zones away from the start grid.

Overall I believe this is a great mod for getting the most out of the current production version of the ARC PRO. Please forgive me if my earlier photos showing a single modified part gave the misleading impression that only one modified part is required. TWO are indeed required and, please note, they are both identically wired!

I have a nice photo which I hope will provide full clarification... I’ll post this asap!

Big thanks for your interest In the thread and option C in particular.

Wishing you a happy new year!

C

OK guys thanks for the clarification on the number of tracks (2) that need modifying.

Can I just check on another point ...... Blagard-01 suggests 'the wiring is mirrored so each one is different' whilst Dr_C suggests the 2 tracks 'are both identically wired!

I really appreciate the input from you guys and only ask so I don't make a mistake, I am not trying to nit pik !

Thanks and Happy New Year .........

Just to confirm.. BOTH track mods should be wired IDENTICALLY as per my photo posted here on 19/12/17. This is also what Blagard-01 shows in his perfectly correct diagram. The mirror symmetry shown in the diagram has reversed the colours used to differentiate the two jumpers in each case. However, the electrons, of course, do not care what colour of wire they are flowing through... i.e. unquestionably the diagram correctly shows the two modified parts are IDENTICAL.

Meanwhile you are absolutely right not to attempt the mod until it has all become absolutely clear and unambiguous.

Happy to take any further questions..,

With kindest wishes for 2018,

C

Please see attached photograph of TWO modified 1/4 length track sections installed each side of the ARC PRO power base. This gives full DIGITAL compatibility to the ARC PRO including all SSD layout configurations (including 2-into-1 chicanes where primary lanes 1 and 2 are bridged) and all track pieces past and present (including unmodified and modified curved lane changers).

For ANALOG mode simply remove the modified 1/4 length track sections and replace with normal track. Then the system will perform as per the APB C7042 when in analog mode i.e. lanes 1 and 2 must never be bridged and curved lane changers must at least be modified using the standard digital-to-analog mod.

Enjoy 2018!

C

/media/tinymce_upload/ff380d18147c17b2691f0ba13e47f9c6.JPG