Advent calendar

WestieIW

I think they've missed a trick in not maintaining an online presence against online model shops.

It's great, provided you're not an online trader or retailer with a bricks and mortar shop. I know several people in the trade who've been dismayed by some of the online offers and sales undercutting them to the extent they simply cannot compete. Maybe Airfix have been listening to them.

I agree. The Calendar's were fun. I entered all of the competition's, everyday, across all the Hornby Hobbies sites. These ran from 2012 and 2016 and will be greatly missed.

Everyone, including myself, over at the Hornby Forum are also missing the Calendar's, so it's not just the Airfix Forum missing it.

I hope the calendar's are back in December 2018.

GNR-Gordon-4

I think they've missed a trick in not maintaining an online presence against online model shops.

It's great, provided you're not an online trader or retailer with a bricks and mortar shop. I know several people in the trade who've been dismayed by some of the online offers and sales undercutting them to the extent they simply cannot compete. Maybe Airfix have been listening to them.

I know what you mean about actual model shops having a tough time and I genuinely miss them. However, I just couldn't afford most of the models they sold there so I shop online. In fact, I'm thinking that most people, including those who own and run model shops, buy where it's cheapest rather than supporting the traditional shops, etc.

Where do people mostly buy CD's and books, online. Their groceries, supermarkets. Do people go into the bank or use cash machines? It always strikes me as curious that everyone is fine buying where it's cheapest, most convenient, etc. unntil it impacts their livelihoods. The problem is that we all do it and as much as I'd like it in some ways you can't turn back the clock.

I've missed Airfix's deals and even the Advent calendar. However, they cost money and I'm guessing that's in short supply. That's probably the reason they were discontinued rather than anything else. Weirdly though, when you can buy Airfix models for less at some online sites than direct from Airfix, (weird because the sites have to buy them from Airfix and then add some to make a profit) it stands to reason that selling direct isn't the way to go unless Airfix match prices.

After all, trade buy kits for less than Airfix sell them here. They then add their costs on and a profit margin and sell them to the public. That means that Airfix selling direct are making a much higher profit margin. I know that the Airfix guardians will say that's fair but I'm not sure how.

• 5 years later...