R070 Turntable

mikejj101

Here's the SS front page

/media/tinymce_upload/7c65b68493f3229eaa6e5a6b2ff420cf.jpg

Here's the SS back page

/media/tinymce_upload/932b2253b2fbada1a7d73329a4f1f098.jpg

Here's my polarity diagram.

As the rail bridge turns to any of the 16 stopping positions, the polarity of the end joining the inlet track 2, is the same as the inlet track 2 at positions 1 thru 5 and 14 thru 16 (no track at 15 & 16), and the opposite polarity at positions 6 thru 13.

/media/tinymce_upload/5bb37486a6d2471e58cfb3d3ed224a4d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Thanks for the many inputs to my question.

I'll also mention that I emailed Hornby spares regarding a question about a replacement motor and gears for the turntable and got a response of 'Try Peters Spares' cos we 'aint got none. Not really what I wanted to hear.

If you search through the threads in this section, there are dozens of comments and reports about these turntables being awkward, jamming, and sounding like a coffee-grinder chewing granite pebbles!

I'm considering stripping mine down, and re-fitting it with a 1 rpm motor and gearbox from a well-known Chinese site, so that I can be sure it will really work!

Considering the money charged for these (if you can find one, now), they're not very good on reliability, and they don't even look very realistic, due to the mechanism, if you get it working!

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks, yeah - it's preposterous - NOWHERE can I find the precise dimensions of this device...How the blazes is one supposed to design it into a layout without knowing the relevant diameters Come to think of it... why are all the model railway track manufacturers so recalcitrant to offer dimension schematics of any of their products?Happy modelling.

I think the trouble is Hornby want it to appeal to children, so it sits on the top of the baseboard. Given improvements in modern stepper motor design and control with electronics, they might do well just improving what they already have. At least it would be quieter. Just buy a Heljan, expensive but good and incredibly quiet, they even give you a template to cut out the hole.