JAMES, R852,UK & CHINA,R9290,R9686 LTD.

Hi  Gordon,Percy available as R852,made in UK and China version.R9686 Ltd. Ed. and last version R9290.All same have body moulding, very slight colour diffetrence,all have same tender drive.Condensor domes slighly different colours.Metal work slight difference in colours.Early UK has a visable fixing screw on body side.Was only made in one set R094,made in UK.Versions I have, UK no date, 2006, 2011 ltd. ed. & 2015 latest version.2006 and 2011 versions same so only photographed 3 locos./media/tinymce_upload/7857c033a74aaa916e06464c1720dca7.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/2baf4bfe32e4cdac671db7dd0b7b35b5.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/6e3030901a848baddcc77357b6970bc0.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/711a2992030a46ec0cc0d36af0588597.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/528e7685e4b28521f70a629cb1547cb3.JPG

Another great post, new lad on block.  😀

Four James' is a lot! I am surprised you don't own the R9073 James Passenger Train Set!  😆

R9290 James is the best, with the lighter red livery and the new much better James-like face.

Please can you do R9257 and R9749 Spencer's next? Thanks.

GNR-Gordon-4

• 2 years later...

Hi New Lad,

I recently aquired a R852 James locomotive which was in really poor state.  I have successfully restored the motor and tender and just working on improving the body and wanted to know if it is worth fixing the two broken rear ladders on the rear of the main locomotive.

/media/tinymce_upload/45dd1327a1a8806787fcdb3f8b7691b8.png

I also need to touch up the paint work on the metal part of the tender and also below the skirt of the main locomotive (where I might possibly repair the ladders).  

I have a 3D printer and have successfully created the replacement parts.  I just need to know if it worth the effort going this far to restore the model.

As serious collector as yourself, would you consider buying such an model with repairs if done correctly?  Would it improve the value of the model?  I have the origina box in perfect condition funnily enough.

I also notice that the locomotives have a insert for a metal handrail.  I was of the opinion that the earlist model was fitted with one?  

Other opinions accepted :)

jarrod_bezzina, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

I know your post was aimed at new lad on block, but I would say it is worth repairing the damage to your James locomotive. Personally, I would not purchase a locomotive with damages such as this, or with obvious repair from the past.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hey - any Loco which has the name 'James' in it is C 😎 😎L!!! (In my books!!!)

@ N. L. :- I also have 'James The Red Engine'!!!! (I wonder why!!!???!!!)  in your 5 photos above he appears :-

Photo No. 1 :- Top left (in the Single box (B/c I have the same box aswell!!!) - (Not in the Set Box))

Photo No. 2 :- The 3rd 'James' to the back - also appears in the photo in the ' Stamp Collection'

Photo No. 3 :-  @ the bottom of the 3

Photo No. 4 :- The 'James' on the right of the 3

Photo No. 5 :- The 'James' again on the bottom of the 3!!!

Also by the looks of it  - the same 'James' as in the 'James Passenger Train Set' - now your wondering - how can I tell??? Simples - Mine has the 3 black tacks / nails or what ever you want to call them on the front + the Vacume Pipe - Also in Pic. No. 5 - on the bottom of the Tender I can just see it has the 'C E' Mark & they have moved the Hornby Logo to the Middle!!! Mine is also Tender Driven - you can tel b/c the wheels on 'James' are / can 'free wheel' but on his tender - they can't 'free wheel'. Interesting that they used to make it in Great Britian but now they have every thing to China!!! Also in Pic. No. 5 I've noticed that the 2nd 'James' down - for a while they put cogs next to the wheels on the tender!!!

@ Jacob :-

R9290 James is the best, with the lighter red livery and the new much better James-like face.

Thank you  😀 Like I said above 'any Loco which has the name 'James' in it is C 😎 😎L!!! (In my books!!!)'  😆

Also my 'James' has been very sneaky - in the last 40 odd videos I have been making on my YT Channel - he has started to make a 'sneaky appearance' in them - not sure why??? here are just a few photos of his 'Sneaky appearance'...

James sneaking into my "Anniversay Plate & Hornby Pen Video"

/media/tinymce_upload/8cebfd4020e47247c95615ac648c2f43.JPG

'James' Helping me to "Mending My 9F Evening Star Loco" Video!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/b42b911647eb44b27e3725cf2167c1cb.JPG

See what I mean...

Jimyjames, they are called lamp irons, not nails. R852 James' (The left two in new lad on block's fourth image down, that was posted on the 21/01/2018), had lamp irons too, but they came in a packet to fit yourself. The 2015 and 2016 made R9290 James the Red Engine had them pre-fitted in the factory, but glued in. The lamp irons were also glued in and factory fitted, on the 2015 and 2016 made R9289 Edward and R9291 Gordon the Blue Engine.

As for your James locomotive appearing in your images, he likes to be centre of attention all the time; That is James' character.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Thank you Jacob - "he likes to be centre of attention all the time" oh I see now - so that is why is has started to appear in my YT Videos - he just soo sneaky!!! Oh Yeah 'Lamp irons' I should of known that - dur - silly me  😬

Correct me if I'm wrong - they call them 'Lamp Irons' cos thet is where thet hang lamps right???