Hornby Class 37 TTS not working with Hornby Select Controller

locoforce

Hello,

I just recieved a Class 37 with TTS (R3583TTS) ad it seems to not be working well with my Hornby Select controller (on version 1.5), sometimes it runs around by itself with out being told, sometimes it runs on the default setting (03), sometimes it runs but then wont run again after stopping, sometimes the sound starts up randomly and most annoyingly of all it wont let me reprogram it to a different locomotive address. Also all my other locos are working fine so it isnt a problem with the track.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Adam

Also another thing is it seems to require another loco to be on the track to start up, when i put my 08 on the track the 37 starts moving around until we take the 08 off, then it stops. Is it taking the 08s address (08)thinking that its its own address?(even though it wont lt me program it)

The best option is to reset the Select to get things on a level playing field before you start further investigation. This procedure is in the manual.

Your loco should only run on its own address unless you have inadvertantly set up a consist. Have a read of the manual and run through the de-consist routine just in case. Remember unless you set up a separate programming track the Select will program anything on the main track as they are all listening for commands.

It sounds as if your loco is on address 08 and when you think it is responding to address 03 it is experiencing what is call DC runaway. Check loco 0 is selected and the speed knob is set firmly to zero as this can also cause runaways, then go back to the other addresses, although resetting the Select should also set loco 0 to stop.

I would have also suggested resetting the decoder in the loco but your Select controller can't do that.

Then try it again on 03 then on 08 and please report back.

Rob

thanks for your reply,

i have reset the controller, and delelted any consists that may have been on 08, it was programmed without any other locos on the track (only got 3!) or at least tried to program but wouldnt work, also, it doesnt run on 08 unless the actual 08 is on the track, in which case it then starts up and starts moving with th 08.

Also it isnt responding to '0' as its not doing anythng but my DC loco is running about quite happily. Allthough as i wrote that it did just randomly start up but it isnt moving.

Sometimes it does respond to 03 as it is now but it is very unreliable as sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

So i have tried it on both 08 and 03,  03 sometimes it works, on 08 it starts up but doesnt work.

cheers,

Adam

• 5 years later...

I'm having the same problem with this R3583TTS fitted loco, it runs fine on DCC with sound etc but when I come to program it or change the loco address my select does the red flashes and loco does the horn noise and doesn't respond to the what I have tried to change e.g volume or acceleration. I'v tired to re-set the decoder also but I get the same and just makes the loco horn sound. I have also tried the decoder in another 8 pin loco and get the same outcome. I have also re-set my select just incase also. Any idea's or is it just a duff decoder that won't reprogram just will run fine as standard?

Daryll, might I suggest that it is quite unlikely that you have the same problem as this one from 6 years ago. For a start, does your loco sometimes work on 03 and sometimes not, you haven’t mentioned this?

Also, I suggest you start your own topic with an appropriate title and explain more fully what is working and what isn’t. Start by explaining further what you mean by working “on DCC with sound etc” but not programming. Is this all with your Select and with what firmware version?

One thing significant you have said is you get the same result in a different loco, although you haven’t told us if this one works fine with its original decoder.

The more you can tell us, the more likely we will be able to help.

Even if you do nothing else that Fishman has asked for, you must tell forum the firmware revision of your Select as this has a significant bearing on TTS issues.

The firmware number is the very first number to appear briefly on screen as you power up the Select. It will be a number between 10 and 20 and then be followed by numbers 30 and then 03.

Thank you for your responses, select is on 1.6V so I can change the CV's with it.

The loco runs fine on standard settings e.g loco channel address 3, I can get the sounds to run fine etc. But the problem is when I come to change the loco address or try and change the volume Cv etc it won't reprogram. I do the process on the select and the red lights flashes a few times and then loco will make the horn noise but nothing else changes. I swapped the decoder into a different model and tried to reprogram it again in a different body just incase that might have been the problem.

A bit of a long shot, but are you by chance using a Hornby Analogue power track connector such as the Hornby R8206 or R602. This also includes the Hornby R8201 Link Wire. These Analogue products corrupt DCC signals and some TTS Decoders seem to be particularly more susceptible to their adverse affects.

The R8206 can be easily identified as it has buff coloured press buttons. The Digital version has dark grey or dark green buttons.

Good point but I have digital track connector with the dark green buttons. I'm going to put it down to not programable and use it on the default settings, I brought it 3 years ago and didn't really get round to changing the loco address etc as I was just getting back into the hobby, it wasn't overly expensive to be honest.