Thoughts on N Gauge Product Strategy

NyGaugeGuy

Like many contributors here, I'm a big fan of Arnold products as quality items which are more cost effective than many of the other European producers.

As a result, I'd like to see the Arnold brand flourish under Hornby International and, following some recent eBay activity offer the following observations!

A number of older Arnold models (especially Swiss prototype - though that's simply my focus) command a significant premium in spite of being older DC technology with no easy path to DCC. Examples are the BLS Re4/4 Brown-Boveri loco, the SBB RBDe 4/4 and, of course, the Krokodil.  These locos command prices in the £100-150 price bracket in spite of now being long in the tooth.

Similarly, the Lima RBDe 4-car unit also still commands a good price.

What prevents Hornby International capitalising on these established markets?  Do HI have access to the original tooling for these models?  If so, does it make sense to run a 'Railroad' style sub-brand which acknowledges that product may not meet some modern standards but would - I assume - get product to market for HI (and us modellers)? (Note: The Lima set came with all the separate detail parts on sprues just like modern production does!)

To be clear, I am responding to the fact that HI are doing great things with the Arnold brand and, as the market for product is so much larger than UK N Gauge, trying to think how HI might be able to grow their market (and give me the models I want!).

I think we would all like to see all the Hornby brands  - domestic and international - flourish, but I think that Hornby is having enough trouble securing production slots with its Chinese manufactures and unfortunately the International brands appear to be less of a priority for them than domestic OO.

My interest is HO and this has been similarly neglected. When I look back at the selection of Electrotren catalogues I have, 2009/10 seems to be the peak regarding quantity of items listed and new models proposed. I wonder if this is reflected with Arnold?

It does surprise me though, that more British outline N has not been developed, as the Brighton Belle set appears to have been well received.

With some luck, the new team at Hornby will get production back on track during this year and give us all some surprises....! And I see an SBB Ce6/8II is listed in the new items for Spring/Summer 2018..

Certainly from the 2017-18 Spring-Summer catalogues there appears to be a surfeit of new models from Arnold, whereas the HO ranges seem to be somewhat neglected, a trend continued from previous years. The cost of tooling must have some bearing on this and also difficulties in Chinese manufacture now that Sandakan is owned by Bachmann..Also the N gauge market particularly in Germany where the Hornby subsidiary in Rodental appears to be flourishing even having a retail shop. Maybe time has run out for the HO International brands as the tooling from the old constituent companies cannot produce ever popular more saleable models and the return on investment in new tooling is poorer ??

Hi 

I had always been a Hornby collector for many years until I had difficulty modelling in my garage due to ill health up until 2 years ago, I had began the hobby again but in my back room and changing to n gauge due to the space that I had, but I model in British outline and with that I can’t purchase Hornby any longer which is a great shame as I do prefer all of Hornby’s locos as well as rolling stock to other manufacturers for their detail and reliability.

I would love Hornby to start doing British n gauge as I would once again start to collect the locos and rolling stock by them, as it’s not the same feeling to me using other manufacturers on a layout as I had a buzz when running my locos by Hornby especially the Steam locomotives and the Flying Scotsman in particular which I miss and I would love for to have the chance again running them all

Hedley

Archived