Build your own Live Steam Locomotive

Brightstar

I was looking at the service sheets for the A3 and A4 Live steam locomotives and I was wondering if it could be possible to build a live steam loco from a set of spare parts or acquire a Loco body shell and Tender for Papyrus and convert a Flying Scotsman
to one. It would depend on the availablity of the spare parts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am having real difficult finding parts for live steam. Hornby is not responding on this website, and dealers tell me they can't obtain parts, or they use some other form of words to indicate they can't send me parts. It is becoming very frustrating.

If anyone know how to obtain spares, please let me know at rgmichel2008 @ me.com (no spaces) or post the supplier on here, whichever your prefer.

Hello Brightstar,
I have found a model shop who have provided me with a very comprehensive supply of spare parts at fair prices.
They seem to have good contact with Hornby for spares and are very efficient and reliable.
I'm not supposed to give

their details on this site so if you would like their contact details either post your mail address here or, if you prefer, contact me via Adrian at the Live Steam Club, he has my email address.
However, beware that building a loco by purchasing spare parts

could prove very costly.
Also note that Hornby will not supply spare parts that are considered safety critical.
Best regards,
Eric

We at the OO Live Steam club have been talking about whether a group of us could start a cottage industry making a batch of locos using our individual skills and expertise; one person do the soldering, one do the machining, one the drilling, one the painting

etc.

It is even conceivable that with access to Hornby parts and the right quality control over-seeing, Hornby might commission the work. It would make a change to have "Made In Britain" stamped on them and if we did not charge our time I might get

my 9F at a competitive price!

Hi Eric,

Could you e-mail the details to remichel (above) as

he is desparate to get spares for his A4. His e-mail address is in his posting.

Thank you.

Hello Brightstar,

I don't have his mail address and can't see one in the forum.
Not allowed to post contact details of model shops here as it is classed as advertising.
Can you, or he, post his mail address or get my address from Adrian.
I'll

be happy to pass on the contact details.

Best regards,
Eric

I was thinking that for shorter models (0-6-0 or 4-4-0 etc.) you could convert a carriage or truck to carry the heater that is now located in the A3 & A4 tenders. It would be easier with an 0-6-0 as it could be close coupled to the engine.

PlanesTV "We at the OO Live Steam club have been talking about whether a group of us could start a cottage industry making a batch of locos using our individual skills and expertise; one person do the soldering, one do the machining, one the drilling,

one the painting etc.

It is even conceivable that with access to Hornby parts and the right quality control over-seeing, Hornby might commission the work. It would make a change to have "Made In Britain" stamped on them and if we did not charge our

time I might get my 9F at a competitive price!"

I doubt it that would happen there are so many things that would be needed PlanesTV, it's a nice dream but the cost of each model would be out of the reach of most even with volunteer labour. You need

a injection moulding expert(not easy to find), access to Hornby's designs and suppliers, new moulds typically at £100,000 each to develope, or moulds not in current production most of which are likely to be in China. Then you need injection moulding machines

most likely to be in China, first rate top of the line CAD people to do design work, PR and sales staff, all the supply of spare parts set up, production schedules, a first rate planner and it goes on. All very expensive to do even on a volunteer basis. Then

you carn't put Made in Britain on them as most of the parts will be China made, the EU wouldn't wear made in Britain or Made in Great Britian it's illegal under EU law I believe, but I know there are loopholes in that ruling, the best it could be assembled

in the UK.

Hello tsot,

Depends on the approach.
You are right if you start from scratch and I agree about the cost of the moulds. The amount of money Hornby must have invested in design, prototype testing and tooling manufacture, for every component, well

I can't even begin imagine. Then set up a manufacturing plant, hmmm...Then market the product and sell to make a profit?
Manufacturing in Europe? a none starter, too expensive.
But Hornby will no longer make this product and the design drawings and

tooling must still exist.
Adrian might not be so far off if he and a group of enthusiasts could acquire the design drawings and tooling. And if Hornby would sell at a knock down price? After all, they're not worth much to them any more.
I've seen so

much ex production equipment and tooling scrapped off in the industry I work in. Will this happen to Live Steam?
Personaly I don't think it would be too difficult to find a company to make, and design, injection moulds for new types of loco. But, as you

suggest, extremely high cost!
I've recently acquired a selection of LS spare parts and when you examine these you can see they are of the highest quality, absolutely first class!
Feasilble? needs a huge amount of enthusiasm and....hmmm and tons of money.

Otherwise,

hats off to the designer(s)and Hornby. What an incredible product you have produced.

Hello tsot,

I do see a lot of people that want a new LS engine and cost is not a problem its time and the skill to grab the job by the throat and go for it you may end up with a load of scrap but if you don't start then nothing will be achieved.

As said before I have a west country and a schools on the go both are running chassis and the body is one of P.D.K kits and very good they are have just finished a DVD that will send to Hornby about the schools running round my track (just the chassis) forwards

and backwards with 2 carriges on. When hornby made the A3 the parts lend them seleves to be made into most types of engine and any 4-6-2 will be no problem what i like is a challenge so a short engine like the schools 4-4-0 is keeping my little grey cells

going after these 2 are finished I like an L1 tank which would make a great engine. As the transistion from Flying S to Schools continues I have loged all the changes and one day will see if a Model Mag would run it then any one could have a go.

Hornby

made a great job of this product but with these new people in westminster chopping away at all things (i see the last train manufacturer in the UK is closing down) hornby my well hang onto there money and spend it on items that will sell better world wide

so dont see any LS any more.

I would like to see more live steam "Gowest" but I think pockets will have to be very deep to buy such a model, brass body kits will be expensive and production of the models if using the special heat resistant plastic will be expensive, well out of reach

for the average man in the street in price terms in current times.

The biggest problems I have outlined. It's not just the squirting of plastic into a mould.

Tons of money would be required to set up a proper tiny production line. Each of those

little parts will cost money to produce and will have to be produced in bulk to keep costs down to the minimum. Finding UK maufacturers of the parts will be a problem if you are going down the Made in Great Britain route as a lot of the old UK parts makers

the likes of Hornby and Tri-ang used in the made in Great Britain days have long gone. You could go down the assembled in Great Britain route of course with Chinese made parts, or you could make the parts in house, this will required shipping tooling and equipment

back from the China factory.

Retail cost per unit would be the biggest problem assuming Hornby would help, with such small batches the price is going to be considerably higher than a normal run model, most likely around the £500-£600+ mark per model.

It's

an interesting dream and if someone or a group has deep enough pockets, it could be done. I for one would love to get involved in such a project, although at the moment will my business not doing much and no jobs about money is an issue.

Archived